ignition problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ignition problems

ignition problems

The other day I was trying to start my 84 ic 6x6 and the key broke in the lock, i was able to remove the key but now nothing seems to work electrical wise, i can turn the key but no start, no head lights , no bildge pump etc. Anyone have any ideas or have it happen to them? I cant see how the key breaking would have taken out the whole electrical system I checked all the fuses i could find as well.

Is your battery charged?

lol yes it is, i can jump the solenoid to turn the engine over but no start. Actually i threw the charger on the battery to make sure it was fully charged as it was -40 and i did not want it to freeze.
    Last edited by Aahicnow; 12-19-2016 at 09:35 PM.

The ignition might have been on it's last legs. You can check for continuity across the contacts while moving the key to it's different positions if you have a voltmeter to verify it's pooched. I had to replace one a few months ago and bought one from NAPA for like $10 that fit in the original dash hole.

On second read, if your headlights and bilge aren't working it's probably something else as they aren't on the ignition switch, or they aren't on the conquests anyway. Time to check fuses and grounds.

check and clean ground bar

Coast : The headlights used to turn off with the ignition (like it that way no dead bat from leaving headlights on)
    I will pull ignition switch tonight and take it inside to test, Ordered new one just to to be safe. Wish i had known about Napa route, Argo dealer soaked me 60 for ignition switch.

Curtis: will check
    it has warmed up to single digits so i might be able to get some time in on it .
    Last edited by Aahicnow; 12-20-2016 at 04:53 PM. Reason: more info

Check the fuse.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

if you are talking about the first fuse off of the ignition switch i checked it ARGOJIM

Perhaps, tracing the feed wire from the battery to the switch there should be an inline (main) fuse.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread