Argo falling behind

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo falling behind

ODG just came out with the argo 6x6 "SE" for $8,995.00 to directly compete with the SxS market,and I have a hard time understanding this, as both units are so vastly different, not only in design, but in application. The SXS is made for comfort and speed,and ease of getting in and out, these are just a few qualities that are impossible for the argo to compete with,as they are made for something completely different. An argo is made to get you in and out without getting stuck, in just about any terrain, or weather condition,deep snow, deep swamp etc.,and speed,comfort (suspension),and ease of getting in and out, like an SXS, will likely never happen in an amphibious unit, as they are made for different applications.
    An argo XTV,exterme terrain vehicle,is just that,an extreme terrain vehicle,made to go just about everywhere a SXS can't. I like the fact, that I own a unit that will get me anywhere I need to go, any time of the year,and in any weather condition,unlike the fair weather ATV market,that makes you think they can go anywhere, and do anything.....great marketing!
    Can't do much about the cost of an argo,but some of the SXS are just as pricey,but you can look back 20 years, and see that an old conquest, or vanguard still holds over 50% of it's value,something that you will never see with a SXS! Expensive,yes,but anything that can hold it's value for so long is a great investment,better than most any car or truck manufacturer today.
    Noel,going to miss you again at mud nationals,also sounds like Mike and Tim aren't going,but Tye sounds like he will be there.

Hey man:
    Thanks for jumping in on this, I am glad to hear Argo is getting the price down on at least this model, that should move some machines. You are right about the marketing irregularity, it does seem strange, although that's about where a Polaris Ranger and similar models start.
    Sorry you guys won't make it to the Mud Nationals this year. Will definitely miss you guys and all the fun. Maybe next year you will make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Hey man:
    Thanks for jumping in on this, I am glad to hear Argo is getting the price down on at least this model, that should move some machines. You are right about the marketing irregularity, it does seem strange, although that's about where a Polaris Ranger and similar models start.
    Sorry you guys won't make it to the Mud Nationals this year. Will definitely miss you guys and all the fun. Maybe next year you will make it again.
    Yes,planning on next year. Glad you are going, just in case Tye decides to turn his conquest into a submarine again.........

One thing to consider is that ODG only sells a handfull of these units. I saw the figure in a document somewhere how many units they sold last year, it was a shockingly low figure, only 150 or so if I remember correctly? Maybe it was 1500? Still, considering there are 300,000+ UTVs sold in North America alone every year, there's a lot more money there to develop such a machine and bring costs down, while argo still chugs along with it's 1960esque chain/sprockets/lawn mower engine for $30,000.

if only Honda would develop an aatv,now that would be something!

wow.... you really put the argo into reality when you said that lol north country tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
    One thing to consider is that ODG only sells a handfull of these units. I saw the figure in a document somewhere how many units they sold last year, it was a shockingly low figure, only 150 or so if I remember correctly? Maybe it was 1500? Still, considering there are 300,000+ UTVs sold in North America alone every year, there's a lot more money there to develop such a machine and bring costs down, while argo still chugs along with it's 1960esque chain/sprockets/lawn mower engine for $30,000.
    I'm guessing more like 1,500 units,last I heard a while back, there are aprox. 600 new units coming into the states every year. No idea if the 1,500 includes the worldwide market.
    As far as ODG chugging along with it's lawnmower engine and chains,why fix it if it's not broken.There is a lot to be said for KISS.(keep it simple stupid)I'ts not that ODG isnt keeping up with technology,you just can't get away,or incorporate the features of a SXS into an argo,and still have an argo.
    How many brands of the 300,000 utvs sold in the US. have a space program,or better yet a military program,and contracts,and who was one of,if not the first to design and build the first 3 wheeler,from where all other atvs where morfed from?ODG. The gear division is just another example where they make extremely tight tolerance gearing, the smallest is in just about every gas meter,to some of the biggest used in the logging industry,not to mention the trannys in the argos.
    The argo right now has a fairly narrow market,one of the reasons being it's more of a utilatarian vehicle,get you in, and get you out,of just about any situation,where the larger UTV market is geared towards speed,comfort on high ground,where most of the market is. Having a farm, and lots of low ground,I never understood the use of a 4 wheeler, or SXS when one of my tractors does the same thing, just slower,and the argo gets me around everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by foxvalley View Post
    As far as ODG chugging along with it's lawnmower engine and chains,why fix it if it's not broken.There is a lot to be said for KISS.(keep it simple stupid)
    Does the 6 / 8 wheeler really apply to KISS? Does any off road vehicle apply any less to Kiss than a 6 / 8 wheeler? I figure we all enjoy the challenge of driving, using, and maintaining something too temperamental for the "normal" consumers which make us unique, which we clearly like.

If it goes off road KISS would apply to things like, dirt bikes, VW baja bugs, ATCs, TerraJets maybe. SxS have a LOT going on at once, but they are designed to be pretty efficient like the automobile. Any time I've jacked a 6x6 up with the body off and seen all those chains, clutches, cables, bearings, tensioners all whirring, spinning and clunking along I think to myself "No wounder I work on this more than drive it"

Though you are right, I don't know how you can make a ridged skid steer vehicle much simpler at a price some people could afford.

i think we can all agree on this. to go amphibious you obvious ally need to sacrifice things like speed and comfort but you cant compare and Argo to a side by side or anything.... an Argo is its own breed its an xtv not an atv or utv. compare Argos to Argos because there will never be an end to threads like these where they ask whats better? a side by side or an Argo.... its impossible to compare them when they are both 2 completely different vehicles. so there i think Argo is a great success and will be for the future,yes its always behind in the side by side market but the aatv or xtv market they are right at the top.

+ Reply to Thread