Best place to buy axle bearings?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best place to buy axle bearings?

If the nubs do not pull out, you can grind them. That is what others have done in the past with success.

What I would suggest is to grease the bearings before installing them. I bought a grease gun needle and cut the sharp tip off. Align the bearing hole with the needle in each hole until the needle fully seats inside the bearing. Then gently and slowly squeeze some good green waterproof grease into the bearing. Do the same for both holes. Go slow and easy so you don't blow out the bearing seals. I've noticed that sometimes the factory sends the bearings out dry and that can cause premature wear.

Dan has some good advice. Make sure that bearing is full of grease before you install it. I just replaced the front bearing in my Max IV and took a needle fitting just like Dan mentioned to grease the bearing through the holes before installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
    Those are the same part numbers I used. The bearings I had had the groove you speak of. (I can't see the pics on my work computer). If I recall correctly the problem we had was they only fit in place one way, and that way the greasing channels did not line up with the ring grooves on the bearing. We then looked at an original argo bearing and while it was identical, the groove was on the opposite side so that it lined up. So make sure your ring grooves can line up with the greasing channels and you should be good to go I'd say. What we did was cut a small channel in each bearing outer race for the grease to go across the outside with a zip disc and tried to align them so that grease would travel across into the bearing. But after assembly several of the bearings still would not take grease.

Your absolutely correct. The buffalo bearings have the grease channel on the opposite end. I would recommend not buying those. Best to go with the Argo bearings

Coast2Coast, I missed your post until Denton quoted you. Thanks for posting that, it could be an issue that causes problems for people especially if they don't look carefully when assembling everything. Denton, did you let Buffalo Bearings know about the problem? If so, I would think they would swap them out for you?

Hey Mike, I haven't contacted Buffalo Bearings, but I plan on doing so

Update: Called Buffalo Bearings and made them aware of the situation. They said they were able to locate bearings of the same size with the grease groves on both sides for around $25. I actually passed, but their customer service is awesome. They allowed me to return the bearings no questions asked. I did find an NTN bearing supplier that apparently has them in stock locally here for $23.00. It's called Motion Industries. It even shows up as an Argo bearing in their product search page. I'll let you guys know. I've also had great experiences buying all my other parts thru Argo Adventures

+ Reply to Thread