thrust bolts.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thrust bolts.

thrust bolts.

is it possible to make your own threaded hole in the end of the old style axles so i can add a thrust bolt and washer on there?

Thrust bolt and washer ? You lost me ?? Are you talking out at the Wheel hub or inside at the frame ?

thrust bolts

I think Curtis wants to add a bolt and washer inside the frame at the inner bearing or bushing to keep his axle from moving outward? I don't know if the Magnum axles had a threaded hole. If not the axle would have to be removed to be drilled and tapped.

Yes I've done it before. I had access to a lathe so it was easy for me to drill and tap the ends. If memory serves me correct they all have the center holes in the end so one could do it by hand as well if you wanted to.

can you just buy a certain type of bit that drills in while making threads? yes they all have the little hole in the end.

can you just buy a certain type of bit that drills in while making threads
    No. Drill first then tap. The best way for this type of thing is to use a lathe if you have access to one. The next best way, I guess, is if you have a big enough drill press with a table that will pivot 90 degrees. If no lathe or drill press, then you just lock it in a vice and drill as straight as you can with a hand held drill.

In case you don't already know this, your drill bit will be smaller than the desired bolt size. You don't drill a 3/8 hole to tap threads for a 3/8 bolt.

I'll add that if you have never tapped a steel hole before seek help from someone who has to give you a hand. If you break a tap you'll have a hard time getting it out.

i have never done it before so i will seek help.just installed all my axles the other day so will do it when i do a service on the Argo!

get a tap that will double cut as you turn it. it makes it a lot easier

A 3/8-18 tap is strong. If you do it by hand cut 1/4 to 1/2 turn worth of threads and back out to the point that you break off the cuttings. Then go back in for another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Don't force it and you won't break the tap. Doing them in the machine will be a bugger so take the time to pull them out. If done on a lathe you can power tap the entire way in one cut.

+ Reply to Thread