holy crap video

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: holy crap video

holy crap video

found this on youtube,found it entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUpmUGDgJw&t=43s

I saw that. I can see why they got high centered, as there were so many people in there, the water weight would have been high. I was thinking that my land anchor and their winch would have gotten them out quickly. That is one of 3 videos where I saw Escargo tracks stuck. The other 2 were able to winch out easily.

Steve

Saw this video a few weeks ago, watched it from begging to end. Mesmerized. Thank god that Argo never broke or had any problem running the last thing they needed was to fight the machine as well as the ground.
    Incredible you can get stuck with so much traction. No real fault of the machine or driver, just the kind of freak alignment of terrain, momentum and angles that perfectly high centered them. Like someone said in the comment if they had just drove straight into the water they would have been all set vs straddling the land. But Alas hind sight is 20-20 and you can’t always make the best choices off road and sometimes it fun to make the wrong ones and see what happens lol.

What was really crazy was just how hard it was to get unstuck. I mean dang they were camping out there! Can’t fathom how many calories where burned trying to get it to budge. I guess in my own hindsight putting myself in their shoes the best two option would be A. “another machine” It be faster to get scimanstev to drive 2 hours to me or vise versa than try and get it out without another machine. 2 machines can almost always rescue the other 100x faster than hands, rocks, and boards can rescue one machine. Or B. Hike out and get in a car and drive to the closest hardware store and just buy 500 feet of steel cable etc to reach whatever far off tree to winch. Sure it cost a lot, but not as much as 6 people missing work the next day lol.

scimanstev is right a land anchor would be the best tool, but I wonder at this point what would make the better land anchor? The steel spade jammed in the ground or 2,000 pounds of steel escargo track with an Argo on top? This is one of the few times an easier to get stuck but easier to extract machine would be of benefit. Regardless it makes the off road strategist in me think hard.

One thing is for sure. If you do get stuck bad, I would be happy to pull you out. There is no place you could go where I couldn't follow.

Steve

I think this is a result of a lot of guys who buy tracks right away and never really learn what the machine can do. Get a false sense of security that you can just point it and go anywhere. High centering is the kryptonite of the argo. To me the spot they were trying to cross was a red flag as soon as it came into the frame and of course up they went and high centered. When I get into a bad spot I get out and figure out what to do, spinning and digging down into the abyss always always makes things worse.

Not trying to criticize them, hind sight is 20/20. They were just out for a rip having a good time. I've been in much worse places with far less capable machines and been in trouble due to my own stupidity. Nice video to learn from especially with the whole process documented.

I've often wondered why Argos don't come with a lockable differential, might have made a difference in the kind of stuck situation that the video showed, certainly wouldn't have hurt to have both tracks turning at the same time. Does Argo not think a locking dif is worth it, or is it too much of a cost and complexity penalty?

Quote Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
    Not trying to criticize them, hind sight is 20/20. They were just out for a rip having a good time. I've been in much worse places with far less capable machines and been in trouble due to my own stupidity. Nice video to learn from especially with the whole process documented.
    When I first saw this video, and the thousands of others, I did learn what works, and what doesn't. Soon I will be learning from the indispensable class of actual experience. Due to the weight of humans and tracks, I could see why they tried to avoid open water, but I agree they rode right into a situation where they were high centered. I have paid very close attention to so many videos, much of what is designed into my new Avenger came from the mistakes I saw others make.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    I've often wondered why Argos don't come with a lockable differential, might have made a difference in the kind of stuck situation that the video showed, certainly wouldn't have hurt to have both tracks turning at the same time. Does Argo not think a locking dif is worth it, or is it too much of a cost and complexity penalty?
    I also noticed that the driver was only powering one track a lot of the times in that video but that doesn't mean that all Argos drive through an open differential . I would assume that the driver was wanting to power that side only.

its not the point about a lockable transmission,that would totally defeat the purpose of Argos and it would be impossible to turn. all he had to do was tap the brake to have all 8 wheels spinning.

Not a lockable transmission, I don't even know what that is, but a lockable differential similar to what rear wheel drive cars have. You can have a lockable differential that activates automatically when it senses a big enough difference between the speed of each side, or you can have the manual type that allows you to choose between open and locked, when you start spinning one side but not the other when stuck you flip a switch and the differential is then locked and you have exactly the same amount of torque and power going to each side of the machine with both sides turning the exact amount. When you get unstuck you can then flip the switch the other way and open the differential so you can turn without binding. Rear wheel drive cars and trucks have had this option almost from the dawn of time, which is why I wonder why the Argos don't have it as either standard or optional equipment. I guess I need an Argo expert to weigh in on this.

+ Reply to Thread