Trouble installing chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trouble installing chain

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    What kinda tool did you make? I drive my machine on 2 ratchet straps, empty the air from all 8 tires and pull the track pin. Putting them on, I use the ratchet strap to tighten them up and take the slack out of them to make the pin fit fairly easily..
    Check out YouTube for a video called “HOW THE HELL SHOULD I INSTALL MY TRACKS”
    This guy uses a couple of eye bolts to bring his ends together...looks pretty slick!

Stubborn chains that don't come together. Use a the biggest zip tie that fits between the links to pull together. Than use steel wire and twist together. That will pull the ends tight and keep them in place to slide pins back in.

Harbor freight sells these long nosed pliers at the end they look like a 1/2 moon I used them to pull my links together so I could fit the master link on. This was while the machine was stuck in the swamp, what a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    Harbor freight sells these long nosed pliers at the end they look like a 1/2 moon I used them to pull my links together so I could fit the master link on. This was while the machine was stuck in the swamp, what a nightmare.
    You can make yourself a set out of Needle Nose Vise Grips. I did and find that they work very well.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by mowbizz View Post
    Check out YouTube for a video called “HOW THE HELL SHOULD I INSTALL MY TRACKS”
    This guy uses a couple of eye bolts to bring his ends together...looks pretty slick!
    That looks real slick! A regular eye bolt should work, if it's coming out once the tracks are on.

So, you guys were right. I had to let the air out of the tires and take off the tracks in order to get the new chains back on the front. They went one pretty smoothly (took me about 2 hours to do both sides by myself) however, the right side chain seems to have a lot more slack than the left side. Both chains are brand new. Since this is not an adjustable, what would cause this imbalance? When I went for a test ride, I am still getting a click/pop coming from that right side. I can visually see that the chain is not skipping teeth, but rather making that click when the slack of the chain is removed when turning.

+ Reply to Thread