Thoughts on purchase - 2006 Argo Avenger

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on purchase - 2006 Argo Avenger

Thoughts on purchase - 2006 Argo Avenger

Hi All,

First time posting. I am looking to upgrade my 98 Argo response to a 2006 Avenger that I found for $6200. It only has 80 hours and is original owner. It includes alot of accessories that will be a big help to me. Anyways, I have a couple of questions I need help with.

First, it has the 3.3 transmission. Did both transmissions have the retaining clip issue?

Also, this one is EFI. Any issues with this motor as all I can find is info on the carb model.

Thoughts on this? Anything else I should be looking into?

Thanks!

Hello, not much of a response here. Actually in doing more research, I've found that this unit is in fact a 2007 and not a 2006. The seller was incorrect in his year. The unit I bought was a January 2007 build date. I'd still like to know if this one has the retaining clip issue in the transmission, as i'd like to get that taken care of sooner than later if possible. Does anyone know what manufacturing runs had this issue fixed? Excited to get it here and see how it performs compared to the older response/conquest models. This is the 3rd Argo I currently own, but the only one that I have that is EFI, liquid cooled, and on rubber tracks. I'll post pics when it arrives as I bought it site unseen.

Wish I could help... I find it unusual that no one has given advice...

I've got an '07 Avenger and have had no real issues with it. Some drive line stuff but nothing that was beyond repair or problematic. I found it to be more of a learning curve than anything, as this is my first argo. With keeping up on the maintenance I can't see me needing another in the near to distant future.
    I did put another inline fuel filter just off the tank to make sure nothing hit the engine that shouldn't. The questions on the internals on the transmission I can't answer, as I haven't had the need, or desire to go into mine.
    Does your machine still have the tensioners on the front chains? My dealer recommended I remove them, as I run my tracks most of the time and they weren't needed.

I am glad to hear you've had no real issues. Fortunately, this isn't my first Argo. I had some issues with my 98 Response, but they were all caused by me and my own ignorance. Hopefully this one won't have issues and last me a long time. Your comment about the fuel filter is interesting. Have you had issues getting debris in your fuel or is this just preventative?

My machine does have the front tensioners on it. I saw on some other posts it is recommended to remove them. I will be running 50% of the time without the tracks and the other 50% with the tracks. I was going to see how much noise they make and then make the decision to remove. Since I will be running a substantial amount of time with tracks, I am going to do the axle upgrade as well on all four corners. The only real concern I have is the transmission, just cause in remote Alaska, if your machine breaks, you are walking home. I'd rather spend the time and money to fix it before I run into the issue in the first place. Other than that, this argo appears to be pretty bulletproof.

Another question I've had is are people running track tuners on their machines or is that unnecessary? I assume it isn't necessary if you follow the track setup instructions. Also, are you running the 2" track extensions on your tracks? I saw that people thought that was necessary. My Response don't have an extension, just the plastic tracks. This is my first time with rubber tracks.

My suggesting on the question about the retaining clip is to get the serial number and go to "argo manuals" on argoadventure.com and look up the parts manual for that serial number. They have all the revisions listed there by serial number and there are 7 of them for 2007. The clip will either be there on the parts diagram or not. I had a 2005 Avenger and when I installed the 3.3 gearing I added the extra clip. So that can be done.

EFI is not something to be scared of but like all things mechanical they can have issues. I like how the EFI machines run vs. the carb'd models when it comes to getting hot. Then negative is they make troubleshooting runability issues more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by js139 View Post
    I am glad to hear you've had no real issues. Fortunately, this isn't my first Argo. I had some issues with my 98 Response, but they were all caused by me and my own ignorance. Hopefully this one won't have issues and last me a long time. Your comment about the fuel filter is interesting. Have you had issues getting debris in your fuel or is this just preventative?

My machine does have the front tensioners on it. I saw on some other posts it is recommended to remove them. I will be running 50% of the time without the tracks and the other 50% with the tracks. I was going to see how much noise they make and then make the decision to remove. Since I will be running a substantial amount of time with tracks, I am going to do the axle upgrade as well on all four corners. The only real concern I have is the transmission, just cause in remote Alaska, if your machine breaks, you are walking home. I'd rather spend the time and money to fix it before I run into the issue in the first place. Other than that, this argo appears to be pretty bulletproof.

Another question I've had is are people running track tuners on their machines or is that unnecessary? I assume it isn't necessary if you follow the track setup instructions. Also, are you running the 2" track extensions on your tracks? I saw that people thought that was necessary. My Response don't have an extension, just the plastic tracks. This is my first time with rubber tracks.

The fuel filter has been just preventative. I don't have tuners on mine, but have the pressures marked on the rims from when the dealer last had it and did the track protocol on it. I've got the axle extensions on and running rubber tracks.

If you leave the tensioners on in the front, you may be chewing up tensioner pads and not gaining anything.

I hear ya on walking home if it breaks down. I'm the only one in our group with one, so I gotta be careful that I don't go too far out of the way, in the event things go sideways..

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the deal I got and excited for the machine. I was able to confirm that my machine doesn't have the retaining clip issue. Thanks to Jim for helping me out and looking this up.

Sounds good on the tensioners. I'll keep an eye on them. Can't wait to just start playing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help!

I once owned a 2005 Avenger, bought used, possibly making me the third owner.
    The info I read said the 2004 had clip issues, and not to worry about mine. I owned it about 1.5 years, with no trans issues at all. But then again, I never owned it long enough to discover if mine might end up with clip issues anyway. Whether other years had clip issues I have no idea. Mine was fine at the time.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread