Argo 6x6 on frozen lakes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo 6x6 on frozen lakes

Argo 6x6 on frozen lakes

I just bought a 2007 6x6 with 23 hp Briggs.
    Wondering how much ice is needed to run on a lake?
    And how hard is it to get out if you break through?

Sorry... forgot to mention it has 18" rubber tracks with cleats.

not sure but please equip with lots of rope and ice pik or anchor if the Argo decides to fall through ice.!ENSURE DRAIN PLUGS ARE IN PLACE!

Quote Originally Posted by Randydb41 View Post
    I just bought a 2007 6x6 with 23 hp Briggs.
    Wondering how much ice is needed to run on a lake?
    And how hard is it to get out if you break through?
    You could probably get out on 3-4” of black ice but 6” + would be ideal.
    Ice is NEVER predictable so if no one has ventured out before YOU, do yourself a favor and get a chisel and check the ice as you go...just because an Argo floats doesn’t mean you can’t get in trouble and risk your or others lives! (Rescue people risk their lives too) your tracks would help immensely in my opinion.
    Last edited by mowbizz; 01-06-2018 at 07:07 PM.

I’m going out with a 6x6 too but we have over a foot of ice already in NH.
    However, I do not have tracks yet so this should be interesting on how the Argo will perform. There is a coating of snow over the ice so that will help.

as on mud or snow...the tracks give a larger footprint to spread the weight, but the tracks add more weight. hopefully if you broke thru you would just float in the water. i think the hard part can be trying to grip and get back on the ice or hopefully keep breaking it in front of you on the way back to shore . it's sure much better if someone else has been out in a heavier machine and had no problems. johnboy va.

I would be careful driving on ice. Make sure it's thick and doesn't look sketchy.

I'm comfortable on the ice with a snowmobile when there is 6" of GOOD ice, technically you only really need 4 but if you wait for 6 it makes up for spots that may not be as though etc, a quad, which has about the same weight as an Argo (if not more, mine anyways) I prefer 8", but have had to pull back a snowmobile with 6" before or so, I don't like to though. If you have a which, I believe there are tools that you can drill in the ice and you can winch out with it.

I do have plenty of rope and a winch on front. I made an "ice anchor" out of a 3/8" thick x 2" wide x 16" long with an eye bolt in the center that I could slip down a hole to winch myself out if needed. The one issue I may encounter is getting out to make the hole !! LOL.
    I will wait for the 5"/6" thick ice I think.
    Thanks for all you inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Randydb41 View Post
    I do have plenty of rope and a winch on front. I made an "ice anchor" out of a 3/8" thick x 2" wide x 16" long with an eye bolt in the center that I could slip down a hole to winch myself out if needed. The one issue I may encounter is getting out to make the hole !! LOL.
    I will wait for the 5"/6" thick ice I think.
    Thanks for all you inputs.
    Good plan!

+ Reply to Thread