Battery Help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery Help

Battery Help

Fellow Owners, I purchased a Huskie battery made by Excide at a local TSC store on 7/31/17 and it won't hold a charge. Took battery back to the store today, 1 day past warranty and the manager told me he won't replace. He mentioned that this battery should not be placed on a maintenance charger, my question to you all is: do you place your battery on a 2 amp maintenance charger to keep it fresh? Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks

I don't do anything particularly special with my batteries. I put them on a regular smart charger a few times a year to top them up that's about it. Even the cheapo batteries in my old 3 wheelers sitting outside in -30°C all winter survive this way. I just bring them inside, let them warm up charge them and put them back outside in the machines maybe twice a winter and they keep on working.

I'm not familiar with that battery you've got but if it's from exide it's probably an AGM battery. That should be a really resilient battery. I use an odyssey AGM battery in my off road truck. It's gone completely dead several times from me being stupid and leaving something on. Last winter it actually quit taking a charge and wouldn't start the truck at any temperature below about -5°C. So I put it on my charger set to "boost mode" which for this charger was just around 14.8 volts-ish as measured at the battery by multimeter. I left it like that for a day or so and it came right back to life and still working fine to this day. This is what they call de-sulphating a battery. It's kind of a last ditch effort to resuscitate a battery, as it can ruin a battery that was otherwise good.

Another thing to watch out for is the chargers don't always work very well in cold temperatures. I thought one charger was toast so I bought another one and used it for a while, dragged the old one back out to test it along side the new one. The old one was working fine, it just had to be brought inside out of the ridiculous extreme low temps here in Northern Alberta. Sometimes I forget how much it messes with equipment!

If you're going to try charging it inside keep in mind that charging a battery will produce hydrogen gas especially if you try desulfating it. So if you do it indoors, you may be producing an explosive atmosphere and you need to ventilate accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread