Running axle extensions without tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running axle extensions without tracks

Running axle extensions without tracks

I had a question for you guys. The Argo Manual says to not run the axle extensions if you do not have the tracks installed. Is this an issue or do I need to take them off without the tracks? I have a 99 Conquest. It came with the supertracks and I took it in the water with the tracks on for the first time. What a disappointment! I went backwards in low or high with low throttle and forwards in reverse gear! I wish more people in the south had Argos so I could sell my tracks. Also have a ROPS that I took off because it was scary in the water with that on

Quote Originally Posted by Canvasback View Post
    I had a question for you guys. The Argo Manual says to not run the axle extensions if you do not have the tracks installed. Is this an issue or do I need to take them off without the tracks? I have a 99 Conquest. It came with the supertracks and I took it in the water with the tracks on for the first time. What a disappointment! I went backwards in low or high with low throttle and forwards in reverse gear! I wish more people in the south had Argos so I could sell my tracks. Also have a ROPS that I took off because it was scary in the water with that on
    No extensions without tracks is not an issue in my opinion. But it makes the Argo very wide to go on trails and does obviously put more leverage against the axles when hitting rocks etc. The rubber tracks are better in deep snow but they don't swim either and the factory ROPS is massive and top heavy. Hope you enjoy your Conquest. It should swim a lot better now.

I have had it in the water without the tracks and ROPS and it did great. My Argo came from PA so lots of snow and supertracks. Not impressed

Running the extensions without tracks, unless you plan on often installing the tracks, will cause more wear or shorter life on the bearings than not having them on. Running the extensions without tracks you will find more rocks, roots, stumps and you will bend the outer lips of the rims or worse. I recommend removing them for normal usage, the machine will turn better and act as it should.

Any track really needs an outboard for real control in the water for boat like usage, though there are a couple brands of tracks that swim much better than the Argo tracks. Tire usage is ideal in water though still not boat like, be careful a side current will take you somewhere other than where you were going and may not want to be.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks Argojim! I use mine for hunting and don't plan on getting into big water when I go out. I'm new to the Argo world so I wasn't sure. I primarily duck hunt so mud muck and swamp are my main concern. Do the supertracks do good in the mud? I want a set of Adair tracks but I can't afford them right now. I have a friend that guides bear hunts with dogs and he wants to pay me to get them out. The big ones are always in the swamp. After all of my searching on here Adairs seem the way to go. I'll test out the supertracks in mud in a few weeks when I go for some turkeys

If you can bring the tracks to Busco, run one trip without them and one trip with them through the same muck and you should have your answer. The track guys generally do a track run, off on their own ,one day.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Will do Jim and thanks!

Tracks are a must have. Just a opinion from another duck hunter

+ Reply to Thread