2004 argo avenger voltage regulator

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 argo avenger voltage regulator

2004 argo avenger voltage regulator

Argo Nation, I posted the following in the Engine section but I have not received any responses yet. I'm hoping to get a little advice before I start pulling the flywheel off and start getting into an area I am not very knowledgeable about.

Hi, I'm looking for a little help here with my '04 Avenger. I have read many posts about the charging system and I have tried many of the solutions offered. Here is the situation. I have 11.8 Volts on the battery terminals. This does not change with increasing RPMs. I have tested the voltage regulator and it reads 1.5 AC volts at idle and will increase to 5 AC volts with higher RPMs, I tested the voltage regulator output and it reads 11.8 DC volts (same as the battery terminals) this output does not change with increasing RPMs. So my main questions are:
    1) is 5 AC volts coming from the stator enough to produce enough DC voltage to charge the battery? I have read that normal voltage output from the stator should be around 23 AC volts.
    2) Is my voltage regulator malfunctioning because the output is not increasing even though the incoming AV volts are increasing?
    3) could it be a combination of both? I had the stator and flywheel magnets replaced in 2010. Probably 250 hours ago

Any guidance with this would be massively appreciated!!

Your voltage regulator should produce at least 14vdc when rpms are high.

I have not dealt with many burnt out stators but it sounds like yours is not producing the required voltage for the regulator to produce the DC output. The one I dealt with was on a 4 wheeler. When at idle a wheeler with a good stator make 25+ volts and the as you revved it up the voltage went up. The wheeler with the bad stator made 2 volts no mater what RPM.

I had a friend fighting his charging system of his Avenger years ago. I did not trouble shoot it with him. He did all that. He chose to install a alternator rather than fix his stator. Worked out good for him.

i suggest removing the flywheel and stator(not that big of a job) and cleaning them up. they do get dirty and the contacts get grubbed up lessening their charge. give it a shot before wasting money on an alternator

Thanks for the replies! I am going to put in a new regulator first then I'll try to clean up the stator/flywheel . My guess is the problem is with the magnets or the stator. But they are putting out some voltage so maybe they are just dirty.

yes most likely. check all connections and wires for corrosion and what not!

+ Reply to Thread