Should I Purchase Tracks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I Purchase Tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by scimanstev View Post
    I am running Beaver Dam Argo tracks, and although the steel is not the best on bare rock, these tracks are unstoppable. They swim, climb, and can claw their way through any amount of mud. I have the winter kit, but have never attached it. 3 feet of snow is not a problem. Pudding mud is not a problem. When I do encounter bare rock, the winch works just fine. Severe muskeg would not even be a challenge.

Steve
    You must have better tracks then me then. I am stuck in this pic. I can assure you there is muskeg out there for everything and anything to get stuck in, have you ever even rode in it? Lol

Last edited by Sparx; 02-23-2019 at 07:13 PM.

I would love to find it. So far I was able to get stuck in 3 feet of slush, as the center compacted, leaving me high centered. I keep trying to find a challenge, but can't. Maybe there is mud I can't handle, but deep, thick or soupy mud is not a problem. I have rolled over 2.5 foot diameter logs, several feet of snow and every thing I can find. My tracks are similar to yours, but square ends, that are cupped. The bottom is a right angle, so theoretically they should work better going forward than backwards. You may be right, but I will keep looking for severe conditions. I have gone up a steep hill of mud with several inches of water running down. I can say one thing for certain. This tracked Argo is by far the most fun I have ever had.

Steve

Doesn't make sense, you got stuck in slush and right after you say you have yet to find a challenge? It's like one second they are unstoppable even in terrain you have never put them in but then they were stuck. Don't get me wrong I think they are great tracks and all, but everything has it's limits and definitely aren't perfect or unstoppable. Yeah they'll work great for their purpose but will have weak points like rocks and still being able to be high centered like my pic showed before it vanished?
    I'm curious how your tracks would swim with the cupped edges like that, they seem like they would be harder to steer then the rounded Escargo's as well. I know my flat edged Rubber tracks sucked for skid steering in tall grass for that reason as well. There are even moments in soft ground especially where the conveyor belting on my Escargo's touch that make skid steering difficult.

I agree with you. I did get stuck in 3 feet of slush. I am still learning, and certainly make mistakes. This Argo is more than I ever hoped. Bare rock is a difficulty. I can't say how the tracks swim yet, only tires. I haven't had any difficulty steering yet, whether in high or low gear. Actually it has been highly maneuverable. I do truly appreciate what you and others have tought me. As I learn, I will continue to enjoy this most wonderful vehicle.

Steve

i have found no matter how aggressive a track style is , once the tracks can't grab a hold of any ground due to the bottom of the tub stuck on a high spot just right .... it's up to the winch to get moving again. j.b.

Ha Ha , this is funny. If you haven't been stuck you haven't tried very hard. My experience has told me to pick a different line or hold my beer and watch this approach. Where I live and play in interior Alaska you have things that will eat you so don't get to cocky when you have a moose or a couple caribou in the back. Live by the sword or die by the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    Ha Ha , this is funny. If you haven't been stuck you haven't tried very hard. My experience has told me to pick a different line or hold my beer and watch this approach. Where I live and play in interior Alaska you have things that will eat you so don't get to cocky when you have a moose or a couple caribou in the back. Live by the sword or die by the sword.
    Haha! Yes things can eat you up there in Alaska!
    Always wanted to go on a grizzly hunt but never did. I think it’s too cost prohibitive nowadays and being 70, my hips would scream at the hiking needed to kill one...I can still watch all the YouTube bear hunts!

Being high centered is the Argo weakness. I admit I may have been a bit overzealous. I have gone through the most difficult terrain I can find. The most impressive thing was climbing a rippled ice sheet over 30 degrees incline. I am sure I will get stuck in mud at some point, but so far, thick slush and bare rock have been my only difficulties. I really do enjoy this Argo, and it was worth every penny I paid for it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scimanstev View Post
    I am running Beaver Dam Argo tracks, and although the steel is not the best on bare rock, these tracks are unstoppable. They swim, climb, and can claw their way through any amount of mud. I have the winter kit, but have never attached it. 3 feet of snow is not a problem. Pudding mud is not a problem. When I do encounter bare rock, the winch works just fine. Severe muskeg would not even be a challenge.

Steve
    Hi Steve. Do you feel that you will be able to fit your Argo into your covered trailer with the winter kit attached to your beaver dam tracks?

Unfortunately no. Without the winter kit, I have about an inch on each side before I hit the wheel wells. That means that if I want to travel and use the winter kit, I will have to back the Argo out of the trailer and bolt it on. Then, after riding I would have to remove it before loading it back in the trailer. The rest of the problem is that with the tracks on, the Argo is too wide for any of the trails here in NH, so I am stuck using my back yard, steep trail, and a class 6 dirt road, along with properly owners allow me on. I created huge mud holes on my property, and I have access to a rock wall and small pond on my neighbor's property. Since I ride in all weather, I have crossed a 2 and a half foot raging creek, water rushing down the road and trail, and a 50 yard ice flow when the steep trail freezes, melts, and refreezes. One problem is that the huge mud holes I created alter drainage. That caused my neighbor's sump pump to run 24/7. I haven't figured out what I am going to do about that yet.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread