Outboard Changes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outboard Changes

Outboard Changes

Hey Folks,
    Been a while since I posted on here.

I have upgraded my 5hp single cylinder mariner on my 2016 Frontier with a 9.9 merc long shaft.

I am looking to gain some additional top end speed on the machine. I know that argo's are not hydrodynamic; however, I do travel close to 3 miles on water to access my hunt camp, with a 1 mile long trail on land in between- nearly every weekend.

With the 9.9 I am toppping at 5mph, and I am really hoping to get 8 out of this motor. It might not seem like much to others, but when travelling every weekend - every mile per hour counts.

My question is this, I am looking to upgrade the prop to a 4 blade high thrust and have two options:
    10' 7 pitch
    or 9-1/4" 11 or 10 pitch

Any suggestions?

I understand how pitching works on a regular boat; but am looking for actual experience with anybody who has played around with it on their argo as I don't believe boat engineering and argo engineering shouldn't be compared.

Cheers!
    and Thanks in advance!
    TW

Outboard changes

I sure hope that you get some good info. because there are lots of us who keep experimenting but don't learn much. Would duallies on the front lift the nose enough to help?

Of you are getting 5mph from a 5 hp motor you are already at max hull speed for a displacement hull. Using more power will just make the bow rise and stern fall as you create a higher bow wave with no gain in speed but a big rise in fuel burned.

Apologies for the hijack of this thread, on a similar vain I was offered an electric outboard motor, 68lb at a very reasonable price with only one day use. Would it be suitable for the Argo?
    Many 5hanks

10x7 will work best but only up to hull speed, whick seems you are at already.

Apologies for the hijack of this thread, on a similar vain I was offered an electric outboard motor, 68lb at a very reasonable price with only one day use. Would it be suitable for the Argo?
    Many 5hanks

I would be very curious to see this electric motor in action or to hear about the performance of it. I have a 30 lb thrust trolling motor and at that size the tires alone are faster. I consider buying a larger thrust trolling motor 50-55 lb thrust, but if not going to make any difference then I don't want to spend the cash. I know others around here are also curious. I don't know anyone with a larger thrust trolling motor to borrow and test. The motor I have works and moves the argo but can it be faster? As it stands now tires are faster but the trolling motor is definitely good for making tight turns.

Let us know how the electric motor works out for you. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.

I am going to try the bigger 10x7 prop and as well brace the lower unit to an offset hitch to prevent the motor from flexing the bracket attached to the tub.

I will report back when completed!

I have both a 8 hp 2 stroke with 4 blade push prop and a 6 hp 4 stroke with standard prop with the 8 hp fitted i can get 6.5 kph by gps with the 6 hp i get 5.6 by gps so not much difference in speed but weight saving by not carrying 2 stroke fuel with the 6 hp

Very interesting, not much difference at all. Last time I had my bigfoot in the water just tires I was getting a bounce between 3 and 4 MPH on a rudimentary speedometer on the phone which is GPS derived. I'm glad I held off buying a motor. The hull shape is the determining/ limiting factor for water speed.

Have a look on u tube down under argo and there are some vids of both motors in action

+ Reply to Thread