Adair axle extensions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adair axle extensions

Adair axle extensions

Hello. I’m new to this site. And new to Argos. And clearly Argo driving. I recently acquired a ‘13 avenger 8x on Argo 18” rubber tracks. On my first trip out i sheared the front right wheel off at the studs. I realize the fronts take the most hard hits, but I don’t feel I was driving it too hard. I had verified the inch of track play and the 5776 psi. I took both tracks off and limped back. Then the internet studying began. What I came up with, was Adair’s axle extensions. Two sets of studs and lugs instead of dangling the Argo extensions way out there. I quickly ordered 8 of them. Mike at Adair said they were back ordered and waiting for the next batch. Which led me to believe they must be popular. My question to the forum group is: what are everyones thoughts on these extensions. It would seem that with them, way less problems with extension breaks. However, the axle then becomes the weak link. I inquired with All Seasons when I was purchasing the repair pieces and they didn’t seem too excited about them. Told me that Adair recommends thread lock on them, and the last time they had to repair a broken axle with Adair’s, it took two extension bars etc to get them off of the axle. He said good luck with that in the field. I found the stud repair was pretty straight forward and easy and would be an easy field repair. I haven’t delved into ‘how to’ axle replacement yet. I think I’d rather have the extension strength. Finally, would all eight be necessary? Or just the four corners? I would think all eight. Thank you for any thoughts.

factory rubber tracks are really hard on your machine simply because their full width sticks to the ground and requires more torque from the wheels to before a skid turn
    can happen. In some scenarios it is really, really hard to turn. Their is a reason Argo continues to upgrade and strengthen their drivetrain to improve reliability dhen using the Argo factory track.

In regards to spacers (extensions), replacing any of them would require removing the track and that particular wheel. After that, You’re either tapping the spacer block off and removing the extenda-lugs (argo brand), or you are simply removing 5 lug nuts that secure the Adair spacers (extensions) on.
    I prefer installing/removing the Adair spacers (same style made by other folks too).
    The argo brand are slower to install (but also simple). Each extenda-lug hax to be rotated just right so that the spacer block will slide over and sit flush against the axle flange.
    The Adair spacers just require a long 3/4” (or 19 mm) open-ended wrench to install or remove lug nuts.
    I prefer to put anti-seize on the axle lug studs with either style and ensure that they are torqued on sufficiently. That way, removing either in the field is easy if needed. (Very low probability)
    Even if they were loc-tited on, simply holding a brake should be enough to hold the axle still while you remove the lug nuts. A little heat might be needed first on each lug nut. If I know they have loc-tite, I’ll just go ahead and heat them up so that the pressed in lug studs do not spin in the axle flange.
    If worried just have an extra corner axle (less paint) and an extra spacer in your supply box
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-24-2019 at 02:08 AM.

I have the Adair 3" spacers and track tuners. It's always funny how some shops hate the Tuners and even funnier they hate the spacers?
    They are way more reliable then the crappy Argo brand stud entenders. No issue taking off and on and I use blue loc tite, just don't use the red stuff, way overkill.
    Good luck changing a front axle in the field, especially the rad side with an alternator, that would be brutal to do! I limped mine back when I broke that one, no need to take both tracks off either, just the broken side. Now I have the new forged axles at all 4 corners of my machine to drive the tracks and kept the good old one's for spares as I bend the middle one's here and there.
    You can save money just doing the 4 corners as those are most important for the reliability with tracks, but it's even better to do all 8 or better yet run the track tuners on the middle tires especially with the rubber tracks and all. The tuners help alot the longevity of the chains. I'm at 260hrs and over 1000 miles on factory chains and sprockets with lots of room for stretch and wear left.

Thank you for the replies. I’ve learned a lot recently from previous posts. I haven’t heard anything negative about the axle extenders. I wasn’t aware of track tuners. It sounds like everyone likes them. And because I will always be on tracks, I’m going to change my order from 8 axle extensions to 4 of them and 4 tuners. Hopefully these changes from stock will allow me to play more and fix less.

Just make sure to stay on top of your tire pressures to keep the track tight and you won't have any slippage issues with the track tuners.

I have been running Adair extentions and track tuners on my Conquest for over 200 hrs with 22" Chanel Tracks in deep snow. I did put the heavy duty axles and bearings on the front because they take most of the abuse and weight. I have had no driveline issues and still on the original chains. The tracks run very smooth with this set up.

well i read your post including the part where your front right wheel studs sheared off. I had the same experence with an Argo I drive on occasion
    the Argo is owned by a Ground Search & Rescue Team which I belong to. Had the teams Argo and mine out for driver training. The front right wheel
    studs sheared off the team Argo. So we were in 2 feet off snow, removed the track. also the track tuners so we would have power to the all the tries on the side.
    We towed the Argo back to the road with mine. You have to tow the Argo close coupled or it will wander to the right with no track. The tracks were installed by the dealer. This happened 2 years ago, no Idea why. I contacted Adair Sales they could not tell me why it happens only to make sure the track installation meets factory specks. Jump ahead to last spring, had the Argo out again 10 miles in a rough rocky road front tire came off again. this time there was no snow but still had the tracks
    on. Removed the track and tuners then drove the Argo out without the wheel. So still don't Know what is causing this to happen.
    This winter we are going to put a track extension in the track this year to give track more length so it is not as tight and see what happens. we also carry spare wheel studs and gear to put the track back on. Also doing away with the track tuners because I think with track tuners there is no traction with the center tires so there is more strain put on the front wheels so it may cause the wheel studs to shears off. Hope this info may help you.
    Last edited by ve1sar; 10-24-2019 at 12:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread