New to Argo world

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Argo world

New to Argo world

Hey y’all. This weekend I’m venturing out to pick up a awesome toy. Got a sick deal on both a 6x6 and a 8x8 for a decent price. Now the catch. They’ve been sitting for a few years and haven’t been started in as long. From my reading and the single photo I have the 8x8 at least is late 70s to early 80s. Besides the obvious of draining the fuel and carb bowl anything a guy should do before attempting to get spark. Or hope to get them running.

What should I look for on them as a nope walk the **** away.

Thanks for the time and advise.

Hi, If you are going to get into the Argo business I would not buy a Argo older than 1989. the older Argos do not have splined axles. The ones you may be buying have axles that have roll pins that fasten the axle's to the sprocket. Each sprocket has two pins each. These pins break and you lose that wheel for power. You will spend a lot of time fixing the Argo in the woods or towing it out.These roll pins are obsolete if you can get them from the dealer are expensive. You will be in a world of hurt if you try to run them. All I can tell you is to run away from them and don't look back. Hope this info helps. Regards Paul

Thank you for the advise.

What about changing from roll pins to bolts. Or can you retrofit the axles?

Hi, Yes you can use 5/16 bolts. make sure you use bolts that are loNG enough. you will have to cut one flat off the hex part of
    the bolt to make room to slide past the sprocket body. The thread end will have to be bent out from the sprocket body to make room for self locking nuts.
    This will not be easy. the most important axle to do ARE the two front ones. If you break those pins you will loose power to the whole side. It may be a long walk home.
    good luck. Regards Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ve1sar View Post
    Hi, If you are going to get into the Argo business I would not buy a Argo older than 1989. the older Argos do not have splined axles. The ones you may be buying have axles that have roll pins that fasten the axle's to the sprocket. Each sprocket has two pins each. These pins break and you lose that wheel for power. You will spend a lot of time fixing the Argo in the woods or towing it out.These roll pins are obsolete if you can get them from the dealer are expensive. You will be in a world of hurt if you try to run them. All I can tell you is to run away from them and don't look back. Hope this info helps. Regards Paul

I would say that depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how much you like to tinker. Roll pins can me replaced with bolts. you may still break some but they are easy to replace in the field. the sprocket tubes are pretty thick on those machines and have tons of meat to broach a keyway into. Mill a mating key in the axle and you would have a pretty robust setup if you also used a bolt.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    I would say that depends on how mechanically inclined you are and how much you like to tinker. Roll pins can me replaced with bolts. you may still break some but they are easy to replace in the field. the sprocket tubes are pretty thick on those machines and have tons of meat to broach a keyway into. Mill a mating key in the axle and you would have a pretty robust setup if you also used a bolt.
    Well considering I work as a mechanic full time I don’t feel I should have many problems. I also have a good line with a machine shop. A key way sounds quite delightful. If I’ve done it right I’ve attached a photo of the one I’m getting. 9AFF5957-A3E5-4352-BC18-598062314E3E.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot27 View Post
    Well considering I work as a mechanic full time I don’t feel I should have many problems. I also have a good line with a machine shop. A key way sounds quite delightful. If I’ve done it right I’ve attached a photo of the one I’m getting. Attachment 18521
    That machine looks like it has been used a little, check everything over real good. You may want to just go ahead and do all the bearings and chains especially if it has been setting outside.
    We are in the process of doing the key thing on dad's 78 ourselves, dad did a hydraulic brake conversion 10 or so years ago also. Just be aware that the Tecumseh machines take a little effort and planning of your direct route, your upper body will know you have driven a manual brake 8 wheeler when your done and the machine will not ever turn on a dime on dry hard packed surfaces except ice. I would also stay away from aggressive, bitey, tires.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

projects are fun and i admit i like a good challenge but they are also very expensive.when i first joined this site i had bought a 1982 argo and i rebuilt it completely,frame out and the whole nine yards.everything was garbage except for the engine and transmission,even all the brake components were junk.so it got all new axles,sprockets,chains tires and the list continues.would have been better off to bite the bullet and buy something from at least from this century,would have been cheaper for sure.

I always love to see the older machines brought back into service from guys that have a lot more time and talent than I do. My first was a 1974(?) Argo 6x6 Super Sport with a CCW 2 stroke I bought from an old duck hunter for $500 back in 1990 or 91. I did some bearings and put a new carb on it. The thing was a screamer, but unreliable at times.

So. Does anyone know vin codes on these things? I only have a 5 digit vin that I found. Also keys. They are universal because I started and attempted to start with the same key.

+ Reply to Thread