2003 Argo Conquest 8x8, so many questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 Argo Conquest 8x8, so many questions

2003 Argo Conquest 8x8, so many questions

I’ve been browsing the forums a bit, and found the answers to some of my questions. However, I have a ton more and am also a little frustrated. I bought this Argo about a month ago, but it seems to have little things I’m not happy with and am considering selling it and saving for a newer one. Buuuuutttt... If the work is worth it to hang onto the machine and save myself some $$$ then that’s what I’ll try. I have also watched some of the videos that RockDoctor has on YouTube to get tips.

For reference this is what I paid and what I got.
    - $7,500 (CDN)
    - 2003 Argo 8x8 Conquest
    - 20hp Kawasaki motor
    - Plastic tracks with metal cleats
    - machine has 955hours
    - heater
    - windshield with the borderline useless hand wiper
    - canvas top (couple rips and tears but in decent shape for the age)
    - numerous bearings replaced (8 I believe)
    - no bilge pump (no biggie as they are inexpensive)

I also have yet to run it with the tracks off in summer as I bought it in January and I’ve only run it in snow so that may affect my experience thus far.
    Questions:
    1- I’m a little underwhelmed by the power of the 20hp motor, would it be worth seeing about an engine swap?

2- What is the red light to the left of the choke? When the temp gauge hits 180+ Fahrenheit this will sometimes flicker. Is it a warning light for overheating? I already replaced 1 rad hose that ran to the heater because I was certain it was leaking. And I plan on doing a rad flush soon in case scale buildup is a problem. The Argo has shut off on me on the trail once or twice when this light started flickering so that’s why I thought it may be an overheating issues.

3- When the Argo is in reverse she screams. And it’s instantly once it’s moving. I’m worried I’m going to break something and my kids whince when they see me shift to reverse. Any idea what this is?

4- She can’t power the winch. I’ve had to use the winch 3 times now and it’s an awesome affair. After running it for a bit it was just stop working and I have to turn the Argo off then on again. From what I’ve read there’s a stator and not an actual alternator. I would like to add more accessories onto the machine, but am concerned if there’s not enough power. Recommendations?

5- I’ve been racking my brain where to mount the new bilge pump. I’m assuming on the side where the belt drive is because that’s where the outlet hole is, but can’t find the original bracket.

6- Can anyone recommend if there is somewhere I can get a thumb/trigger throttle. The twist throttle is not great and my wife hates it.

7- I’m not super mechanical, enough to be dangerous and willing to try something, but prefer guidance and direction or a knowledgeable mentor while doing the project. I believe the belt drive front clutch is rattling, but not certain. As my experience is with snowmobiles for these drives, a rattle is bad to me. Is there anything I can check or tighten to trouble shoot this?

Hopefully I haven’t blasted out too much rookie spiel. Appreciate any and all guidance available. Thanks ��
    Last edited by Canadian.Trucker; 03-04-2021 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot the year and engine

F9DE8B68-CD0C-4CB2-9457-CF8596E33166.jpg this is where my bilge pump is mounted on my Conquest. A longer bolt is inserted through the bearing carrier to attach to the pump bracket/frame.

The red light left of the choke on mine is for oil pressure as far as I know. Mine dosnt flicker only illuminates when first turning the key. You may want to have your oil pressure checked. Remove sensor and attach mechanical oil pressure gauge. How long since oils been changed? Proper level? Proper grade? What gearing code is stamped on top of your transmission by dipstick Gu, Mu, or Hu.

The factory bracket is nothing more than an “L” that bolts to the left front (as sitting in the drivers seat) inboard bearing. I don’t know if they come stock with extended studs in this location but I imagine so. The bracket rests flat on the bottom pan underneath the clutches and belt. It is a bit of a bitch to get to with all that in there but not awful. Two 9/16” SAE bolts and it’s out. The hose from the pump runs up to a common bulkhead fitting wherever they decided to punch that through. My Bigfoot’s drain port is behind the muffler opening but I’ve seen others with it up front.
    Located in Western Montana

2003 Argo Bigfoot 31hp Spray Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian.Trucker View Post
    I’ve been browsing the forums a bit, and found the answers to some of my questions. However, I have a ton more and am also a little frustrated. I bought this Argo about a month ago, but it seems to have little things I’m not happy with and am considering selling it and saving for a newer one. Buuuuutttt... If the work is worth it to hang onto the machine and save myself some $$$ then that’s what I’ll try. I have also watched some of the videos that RockDoctor has on YouTube to get tips.

For reference this is what I paid and what I got.
    - $7,500 (CDN)
    - 2003 Argo 8x8 Conquest
    - 20hp Kawasaki motor
    - Plastic tracks with metal cleats
    - machine has 955hours
    - heater
    - windshield with the borderline useless hand wiper
    - canvas top (couple rips and tears but in decent shape for the age)
    - numerous bearings replaced (8 I believe)
    - no bilge pump (no biggie as they are inexpensive)

I also have yet to run it with the tracks off in summer as I bought it in January and I’ve only run it in snow so that may affect my experience thus far.
    Questions:
    1- I’m a little underwhelmed by the power of the 20hp motor, would it be worth seeing about an engine swap?

2- What is the red light to the left of the choke? When the temp gauge hits 180+ Fahrenheit this will sometimes flicker. Is it a warning light for overheating? I already replaced 1 rad hose that ran to the heater because I was certain it was leaking. And I plan on doing a rad flush soon in case scale buildup is a problem. The Argo has shut off on me on the trail once or twice when this light started flickering so that’s why I thought it may be an overheating issues.

3- When the Argo is in reverse she screams. And it’s instantly once it’s moving. I’m worried I’m going to break something and my kids whince when they see me shift to reverse. Any idea what this is?

4- She can’t power the winch. I’ve had to use the winch 3 times now and it’s an awesome affair. After running it for a bit it was just stop working and I have to turn the Argo off then on again. From what I’ve read there’s a stator and not an actual alternator. I would like to add more accessories onto the machine, but am concerned if there’s not enough power. Recommendations?

5- I’ve been racking my brain where to mount the new bilge pump. I’m assuming on the side where the belt drive is because that’s where the outlet hole is, but can’t find the original bracket.

6- Can anyone recommend if there is somewhere I can get a thumb/trigger throttle. The twist throttle is not great and my wife hates it.

7- I’m not super mechanical, enough to be dangerous and willing to try something, but prefer guidance and direction or a knowledgeable mentor while doing the project. I believe the belt drive front clutch is rattling, but not certain. As my experience is with snowmobiles for these drives, a rattle is bad to me. Is there anything I can check or tighten to trouble shoot this?

Hopefully I haven’t blasted out too much rookie spiel. Appreciate any and all guidance available. Thanks ��
    As far as number
    1 You will have to do some research, going with a bigger engine brings it's own issues, if you wish to retain the heat you would still have to go water cooled.
    2 I believe that is your oil pressure light, the previous owner probably has the engine idling low so that the transmission does not grind when shifting, the flickering is fine, you could try to adjust the idle 50rpm.
    3 All the older style transmissions are loud in reverse, you may have wear on the reverse idler gear or it may just be magnified by the windshield and top trapping it.
    4 With all the accessories on that machine I'd imagine the dealer sold the user on the alternator as well, remove the firewall and look forward to see if alternator is in front of brake fan hose ( hose may need to be removed to see it). If it is equipped with alternator you may need to tighten the belt ( if still there ), this is accomplished by loosening the lower bolt ( 17mm and 15mm?) which you should be able to feel from through the hood and then loosening the upper bolt ( 12 or 13mm) then there is a Phillips head adjusting bolt.
    Back to idling, the brake fan draws 7.5 amps, extended idling will deplete the battery in about 20 minutes to the point it will not restart with stock charging or loose alternator belt, if the machine will sit running for extended periods I would attempt to keep idle over 1200-1500 rpm. Carry a jump pack for remote trips.
    5 I would assume the bilge was either retained or removed from failure if you have a outlet hole, the hose ran down the winch hoop on some or through a u shaped bracket against the tub on some depending on who installed them. As noted an l shaped bracket bolted to the 2 longer rear bolts of the front inner bearing.
    6 Argo is offering the new style trigger throttle or look on ebay.
    7 Find a shop Argo, snow mobile, cvt driven quad etc to give the opinion on that.

Once the tracks are off and the spacers removed it will be a different machine. If your machine has the M transmission it will go faster but have less low end grunt, generally a Conquest with tracks you would be running low range for power.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

On my bigfoot 01 I swapped the 18 for a 23. made little to no difference in speed. Power was good with the 18 but it also ate less fuel. Not unhappy with the swap as it fixed other issues I had with the 18 just didn't make much difference.
    I've also come to the conclusion long ago that speed really isn't the desire due to the tire suspension. The machine still gets high centered and may struggle climbing out of water and both of these factors are not power issues but skill issues.
    They are not unstoppable as many and myself beleived.

+ Reply to Thread