A Frontier and Adair tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Frontier and Adair tracks

A Frontier and Adair tracks

Hi, I have a 2012 8x8 Frontier 23hp. I was enquiring about Adair tracks here and was told any tracks on my Frontier would put too much strain on the engine when turning as the engine was not powerful enough to cope. Thoughts please!

I will test my Argo (just tyres) when up and running (soon, maybe a week) and if it doesn’t perform well enough I’ll have to consider tracks or another Argo. I have a floodplain property with mud that needs it as a workhorse. It mostly has vegetation over the mud.

Thanks

I would think that a 23hp would be more than adequate to power an 8x8 with tracks. Even if you had a transmission with high gearing, you could just leave it in low and be okay. I run an '08 avenger with 24hp Kohler for work and it will turn the rubber tracks on pavement or concrete from a dead stop with no issues in high gear, which is kind of a worst case scenario as far as difficult turns go. (I don't do it often, but sometimes its unavoidable. It really eats the tracks doing that). My personal rig is an 89' Magnum/IC 8x8 with only 18hp, and it had a set of plastic tracks on it most of its life and doesn't lack for power IMO. If all goes well, it will get a set of channel tracks someday soon. Adair tracks aren't as hard to turn over as some tracks are on hard pack either, so I would say you're probably good to go. Those Adair tracks should really shine on muddy floodplains. If you're really worried about it, you could try installing a set of "track tuners" which take some of the load of your engine by turning the center 4 axels into idlers.

Long story short - I would say go for it. At 23 HP you should be totally fine. If you're still worried about though you can just message the folks at Adair, I've heard their service is great and they should be able to give you a pretty definitive answer. Enjoy your Argo!

Peterac, you will be fine and in many situations find it pivots easier with the tracks verses the tires. I have the Adair’s on an 18hp frontier 600. I mostly run in high but in the thick of things I put it in low. You will be fine. Great tracks. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah after previous reading I thought it strange what I was told. Does it make any difference it is a carby engine?

I had an 18 hp B&S in my argo Bigfoot and it was fine with the adair tracks. Tured easier than just tires. I now have a 23 hp B&S insame machine and it's even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterac View Post
    Hi, I have a 2012 8x8 Frontier 23hp. I was enquiring about Adair tracks here and was told any tracks on my Frontier would put too much strain on the engine when turning as the engine was not powerful enough to cope. Thoughts please!

I will test my Argo (just tyres) when up and running (soon, maybe a week) and if it doesn’t perform well enough I’ll have to consider tracks or another Argo. I have a floodplain property with mud that needs it as a workhorse. It mostly has vegetation over the mud.

Thanks
    1st question: Do you have the Hi or low old style transmission I have run Adair tracks on two 23 horse Frontiers one with the old style transmission and one with an Admiral, as was already stated the machine will turn easier with Adair tracks then it will with tires because the tracks slide when you turn them. Nether Machine ever lacked power with the Adair's on them and I would go so far as say the the 23 horse engine combined with the Admiral was fast, it accelerated very well. I raced another Argo 6x6 with the 23 Horse B&S engine (old style transmission) and tires and my tracked machine left him in the dust. So your answer is: You will have all the power you need on a 6x6 with Adair's.

I also run a set of Adair's on my 8x8 Frontier (23 horse Kohler) Never had an issue with power unless I was trying to stay with an HDI on the trail. As far as mud conditions and bad trail conditions, never a problem, the Frontiers preform flawlessly. I have walked through impossible mud conditions and swamp conditions that were just a little scary with out an issue.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 05-29-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Check Noels yellow Argo at River run, this machine has the 23 horse engine in it and have have seen him take that machines into mud so bad I was afraid to even follow him. You will notice that Noel was always leading the way.

What a convincing video. All questions answered and I’m grateful you all took the time to reply. By the way I have the older transmission.
    Thankyou!

You want to see some Nasty (dangerous) swamp conditions watch this video, you will see this same Yellow Argo going right down the middle of the most awful conditions with out a problem. I would like to point out that not only was this yellow Frontier a top performer in this swamp but it pulled a broken machine out of this area. Because of the over all lightness and flotation Frontiers seem to have an advantage over other machines in the most awful conditions.

Please note that at least three of the machines dominating this swamp were 23 horse Argo Frontiers
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 05-31-2021 at 07:52 AM.

I have the adairs for my bigfoot and they perform. I've watched the above video many times and it shows the difference the adair cleat style of track make versus the max flatter style tracks. Not all tracks are the same as a few members here can attest to.
    I never realized that was Noel in the yellow argo in the video above.

+ Reply to Thread