Argo frontier 700 or aurora 850

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo frontier 700 or aurora 850

Cool Argo frontier 700 or aurora 850

Hi im looking at buying a new argo to replace my older magnum but im not sure in between the frontier 700 8x8 or the aurora 850 8x8 i will be using it 4 season and to plow snow im not sure between rubber tracks or channel tracks would the 23hp efi be maxed out all the time compared to the 33 with the admiral? Also im new here hello everyone

They do have lower geared transmission packages available for multiple machines. If you plow and operate with tracks that would be something to consider.
    I've always thought the more power the better, but that will add cost. If you purchase new you can always negotiate for the best deal. The 2022s should be out soon so a 2021 might be found with a discount.

Welcome to the site.

Hi torque transmission is way to go I think. Also just for thought, check out Mud ox vengeance. I know it’s not model you mentioned but similarly priced as aurora. Fun to look.

The 700 Frontier is nice because it is capable and simple, both machines will work nicely for what you want to do but that Aurora is surely a very nice power house. Maintenance is simpler on the frontier and that is a consideration. The rubber tracks are excellent in snow but in other conditions they are hard on chains and bearings. You will have to ask the channel tracks folks about those tracks in snow but I am sure if you used ice cleats they would get the job done for what ever you wanted to do.

Yes but it does not show on the website the speed for the lower geared transmission i still want a bit of speed cause im gonna run tires a lot to?

I know where i can buy 15 inch rubber tracks and i heared they are still capable in deep snow mayber those would turn better?

The Argo web site shows the top speed of the 2022 Frontier 700 as 16 mph and does not specify a different speed, so I strongly suspect they are only offering the machine with the old 3.3 low range transmission, the 800 Aurora with the the water cooled Kawasaki engine also shows a top speed of 16 mph so I suspect it to is only available with the HT or lower geared transmission. Leads me to suspect that the new Argo clutching system has a lot to do with lower gear ratios in their machines. That being said I see the 700 6x6 still shows a top speed of 22 mph. Hummmmmm?

all flat rubber tracks will be hard to turn, even 15” wide ones which I have run extensively. The most important thing with any track (especially flat tracks) is the transmission gear ratio. More engine power is nice, but simple mechanical advantage always wins, even with lower hp machines. Go with your budget, but insist on high torque (low geared 3.3 classic transmission or 8.1 admiral). So far, from 1st hand experience and also from others’ direct reports: Avoid the 2022s as currently set up from the factory. High torque ratios appear to have been ***eliminated*** (GENIUS), and the new clutches do NOT perform as adequately and in leu of the HT tranny ratios. Weak on the low end, hot/smelly belts, and too much rolling speed even if you do get heavy/rpm into the throttle to try to make the clutches do their job. Low end is pitiful and made worse by rubber tracks. I would strongly advise finding a 2021 in either transmission model that has high-torque gears. Night and day difference (for the better) compared to the 2022s unless all you plan to do is run down the road to check the mail. Real bummer but true, somebody goofed. Mmmmhmmmm, book smarts alright. Unbelievable and super bugging for a machine built to go through the bush and do work.

Wow Buzz, that is interesting news about the elimination of the low geared transmissions. I don't know what the folks at Argo were thinking, but they had better take another look at this decision as it's counter to the direction they should have gone.

looks like argo is targeting the trail riders for sales.

+ Reply to Thread