Conquest carb jetting

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquest carb jetting

so THAT's what the argo is supposed to drive like! My spark plugs came in the mail today. wow, what a difference. I am ordering a second set right away to keep as spares. Even at 11k, it seems I'll have enough power. Guess we'll find out on my next trip. Can't wait to try it out again. THANK YOU ALL so much for your help solving this. I'll see about clutching etc after trying it at 11k again.

by the way, I repeated the start up test with each plug disconnected. It fired right up and ran fine on either cylinder alone. definitely sounds a bit "rougher" on one cylinder now that I can see the difference.

plenty of turning power now. cruises right up the hill, or even a little 2ft ledge at my house at 8k with ease.

It's great when they operate at full power, now it's time for some fun!

my problem is back. I ran the argo hard about 10-15 minutes at my house in the driveway. It was kicking a$$ and a ton of fun. Then, I slowed down, let it idle a minute and when I stared up, no power again. I assume one of the sparkplugs fouled? Can that happen in 15 minutes with a number 104 jet at 8200ft? Looked up on the internet, found this

Since you have new plugs and wires you may have a bad coil. Of course one of the new parts may be bad, not unheard of but unlikely. You need to see if that cylinder is getting spark. You will want to do this test while the engine is hot. It isn't uncommon for coils to work for a short time then fail when it gets hot.

I also read
    The number one spark plug failure is caused by oil getting to the spark-plug through piston blow-by - this can be fixed with new rings / pistons (oversize for best performance).

The main cause of bad spark plugs is exactly what i stated above - OIL - now it could be that the spark plug isn't getting enough voltage to make a very hot spark in which case you could look at replacing the rotary cap, coil, generator, etc..

CAUSES OF SPARK PLUG FOULING

If your spark plugs are fouling and keep fouling out, you probably have an engine problem. Normal spark plug deposits are typically light tan or brown in color. Black deposits or heavy ash deposits usually indicates trouble. Some common causes of spark plug fouling include:

Worn or damaged valve guides or valve guide seals. Problems here can allow oil to dribble down the valve stems and enter the combustion chamber. Oil will form heavy black wet oily deposits on the spark plugs.

Worn or damaged piston rings, or worn or damaged engine cylinders. Badly worn piston rings, broken or cracked piston rings, grooves or scoring in the cylinder walls, or even piston rings that have been installed upside down can allow oil to get into the combustion chamber and foul the spark plugs.

Rich fuel mixture. This will produce black fluffy deposits on the spark plugs. If only one or two spark plugs are affected, the underlying cause may be a leaky fuel injector. If all of the spark plugs show heavy dry carbon fouling, the rich fuel mixture may be caused by too much fuel pressure (check for a defective fuel pressure regulator or a plugged fuel return line). A defective oxygen sensor that reads lean all the time can also make the fuel mixture run rich. Check fuel trim readings with a scan tool to see if the engine is running rich (negative fuel trim numbers that are -8 to -10 or more would tell you the engine is running rich). On an older carbureted engine, a rich fuel mixture can be caused by a leaky float, incorrect float setting inside the fuel bowl, a leaky fuel inlet needle valve, or incorrect jetting (too large).

I have messed with both plugs. Here is what I am finding. You can only start on one plug if the front plug is in and back is out. (or you can start on two plugs). Rear plug does not start the argo. Tested the rear cable with screw driver, and I can get spark on the rear plug cable, but it seemed weak to me. So, I tried pulling the plugs independently with the engine running. It will continue to idle with either plug out, but there is a significant difference in engine power/sound/speed while the front plug is in. With only the rear plug in, it almost dies, but does continue to run. When you get the front plug even near the spark plug, you see and hear the spark jumping to the plug. In the rear, that does not happen at all. I think the spark plugs are fine, but I am not generating enough spark energy in the rear plug to cause combustion.

The kawasaki engine manual says you need a "kawasake hand tester special tool number 57001-1394" ignition coils or pulser coils.

anyway have any ideas what would be causing weak spark or what I should test or replace next? Thanks

some suggestions from other threads

Start it up and run it till it stalls, check for spark and check compression. Could be the magnetron getting hot and losing spark, compression could be weak when hot.

I had a 2 stroke that did that and it turned out the rings were shot and the one piston was burned.

thinking back to when I had it up at my cabin, this is the same thing that happened up there. The time it did run with a bit of power, was right after it sat for a while and I first started it up. It ran for 1 minute, and when it got hot, no compression.
    Last edited by Mike; 02-08-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: merged four consecutive posts

Well if does loose compression only when its hot I would say a valve is set to tight.

Try moving the front plug to the back and back to the front and see if it will start on the one cylinder then. If it will, it's probably a bad/fouled plug. It's true about getting a bad plug new out of the box but I've screwed in many hundreds of plugs and would venture to say out of them all I may have had 10 that were defective.

Well, it is cool that you've experienced the running-on-one-cylinder right next to firing-on-all-cylinders so you have a good feel for the difference.

I was hoping your problem was fixed but didn't say anything before because I know that switching from BMR2A to BMR4A wouldn't/didn't fix the problem. In fact, I would guess that the hotter plug was installed to deal with fouling due to rich idle at elevation.

I was hoping that the process of changing the spark plugs fixed the problem. Something like not having the wire clipped onto the plug or something. Right now I am thinking maybe the spark plug wire has a break (just assuming that you didn't jiggle something else). So fire it up and start wiggling the spark plug wire for the cylinder that isn't firing to see if you can get it firing again.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Well, it is cool that you've experienced the running-on-one-cylinder right next to firing-on-all-cylinders so you have a good feel for the difference.

I was hoping your problem was fixed but didn't say anything before because I know that switching from BMR2A to BMR4A wouldn't/didn't fix the problem. In fact, I would guess that the hotter plug was installed to deal with fouling due to rich idle at elevation.

I was hoping that the process of changing the spark plugs fixed the problem. Something like not having the wire clipped onto the plug or something. Right now I am thinking maybe the spark plug wire has a break (just assuming that you didn't jiggle something else). So fire it up and start wiggling the spark plug wire for the cylinder that isn't firing to see if you can get it firing again.
    Caution; You may experience a good tingle if the wire is bad.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

yeah, I experienced the tingle a few times yesterday I switched the spark plugs front to back as suggested, still no strong spark at back cylinder. I doubt I jiggled anything else loose, I will inspect the cable as best a possible, its hard to see back there.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post

since I switched the plugs back and forth and the problem is consistent, and the front cylinder fires with good spark on either spark plug, I can say the plugs are not fouled, neither the BMR2A nor the BMR4A. It seems to be weak spark in the back. what are the possible causes of that besides a cracked cable?

+ Reply to Thread