Great Deal on Seals!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Deal on Seals!

Great Deal on Seals!

I'm getting ready to replace all 8 axles on my mid-80's Argo and needed some seals to get the job done. I already had 2 in hand I ordered from an Argo dealer at the cost of $16 each.

Since I have the seal from Argo in hand, I noticed it came in the factory SKF box, with both the SKF # and Argo # on it. The Argo part # is 102-07, SKF part # is 12360.

A quick Google search, and I found this website:

Richards Co

Lo and behold, they have a page just for their SKF inventory:

SKF Bearings

Darned if I didn't about pass out when I saw the SAME SEAL that Argo wants $16 for listed at only $5!!!

Well, I called their toll free number right away, 1-800-929-2992, and talked to Dave. Dave is 110% New Jersey. If you've been there, you know what I'm talkin' about.

Dave verified the price, a whopping $5, and he worked with me on the lowest cost shipping to Alaska. I placed my order for 8, ordering two spares at this price.

This order from Argo would have been $128, and I got it for only $40, a savings of $88! I'll have the parts by the end of the week, and will post again once I have them in hand. At this point, I'm still in disbelief.

Of course, I'm in no way associated with Richards, just passing this along to others who may need bearings or seals.

Planter Bob

Axles seals

Hi Planter Bob, about your axles seals, i upgrated mine from wimpy Argo factory seals to high quality spring lipped ones from skf. Argo seals were 4-5 $can my other seals were 7$can each. With the new ones, when i put grease on my axles flanges nothing is spilling out from the axle shaft and my grease gun go hard on the handle when it's full.... Better seal for sure and better life for the bearing as well.... Ask your seals provider about the better ones with spring lips instead... Your bearing life will increase as well

Martwell

seals

Quote Originally Posted by martwell View Post
    Hi Planter Bob, about your axles seals, i upgrated mine from wimpy Argo factory seals to high quality spring lipped ones from skf. Argo seals were 4-5 my other seals were 7 each. With the new ones, when i put grease on my axles flanges nothing is spilling out from the axle shaft and my grease gun go hard on the handle when it's full.... Better seal for sure and better life for the bearing as well.... Ask your seals provider about the better ones with spring lips instead... Your bearing life will increase as well

Martwell
    there must be an industrial supplier in alaska who can do the same - check the yellow pages under bearings or call skf yourself and ask for a local distributor

They're here, but not at $5 a piece!

Everyone in Alaska charges more for shipping than I can buy outside and ship myself.

Planter Bob

Guys, as a follow up. The seals were received exactly as ordered. Shipping was extreemly fair, and I'm thrilled with the purchase. All is good. I doubt I'll ever buy another seal from Argo again.

Planter Bob

I am restoring a 197? 6 wheel argo. I got it with out seals. I have ordered new SKF seals at Canada Bearing for $9. When I recieve them and install them is it correct to have them with the side with the garter facing the bearing?

how much did canada bearing want for bearings...if they had them...

A while back I did inquire about axle bearing, I brought an old one in and they said it was a uncommon, even though nsk and some numbers were on the side. They said they would have to do more searching to get a match. I did not want to outlay for the bearings at the time, so I did not get them to proceed with the search and so I did not get a price. They are pretty good over the phone so you could give them a ring (905) 688-4380 in St. Catherines.

When I recieve them and install them is it correct to have them with the side with the garter facing the bearing?

+ Reply to Thread