Attex Amphibious ATV Models

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attex Amphibious ATV Models

Attex Amphibious ATV Models

Here is a list of models produced over the years by Attex. Fill me in on the most popular, fastest, most powerful, etc.

Attex Models

(These have ABS bodies)

Model 297
    Model 208/TT
    Model 225
    Model ST/295
    Model ST/300/D
    ST/340/R
    ST/400/R

252 Crazy Colt
    Yellow Bear 208
    295 Wild Wolf
    Frontiersman 212
    Brave Buck 338
    ST/400
    400 Chief
    400 Chief Military 8x8
    400/R
    440 Thunderchief

(These have polyethylene bodies)

250 Spirit
    450 Tomahawk
    450 Lil' Truck
    500 Lil' Truck
    500 Superchief

450 Sportster
    450 Sportster Truck
    500 Sportster Truck
    500 Sportster
    Big Foot
    Last edited by Mike; 05-30-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: humbly corrected by hydromike's dorkiness

I know that this is a cut/paste, but here's my opportunity to display my dorkiness for the corrections dept.

* Everything between 250 Spirit and 500 Superchief on the list (inclusive) have poly bodies.

*The "400R" is listed twice; To my knowledge there was only the ST/400/R

*The list is missing the ST/295, an ABS bodied machine.

*I've seen one (only one) 400 Thunderchief. (It was just recently re-dragged out back of a dude's house after sitting out front for about a year or so. It'll sit there for the next 30 years, too...)

The fastest and most powerful is the Superchief with the 484 Chaparral. No contest. That includes ALL AATVs, not just Attex.

As far as popularity goes, I have no idea about production numbers. I sure see a lot of 400 Chiefs and Superchiefs, though. I'll let others chime in. I'm sure there's SOMEONE out there who wants to add something....

~m

Okay, here goes SOMEONE, just to show Hydromike he doesn't have the corner on the dorkiness market.

ST/400/R was two different models as far as I can tell from the old Attex lit that I have. The original was a first generation machine with a 400 CCW twin. I know these exist because I have one. The other was made in 1971/72 and was the same configuration as the ST/295 and ST/400. It came with a JLO rockwell 5-port 400 and twin carbs. I've seen this on the model lists from the factory but never seen the machine, so whether or not it actually made it into production......????

As for the 400 Thunderchief; if I hadn't seen the thing I'd be really skeptical. If it was a cut-and-paste job with the decals, it was a fine job.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don, you've never seen a 71-72 400R? That sounds like a challenge for me to go on one of my 6x6 scouting adventures and find one out in the rural hills of East Nowhere, USA!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks guys, I edited the list...does it look right now?

As for the Superchief with the 484 Chaparral, which one is that? The 500 Superchief?

What about the 400 Thunderchief? Is that the 440 Thunderchief on the list or is that completely different?

I sure am glad that you guys are dorks

Jeff- Yes, by all means find me one! Knowing you, there'll be one at your place next time I'm up

Mike- Yes, the only engine to my knowledge that ever came in the Superchief was the 484. The 400 Thunderchief may be an anomaly and never actually in production, but I don't know. I've never found it on any list, but seeing is believing. The 440 Thunderchief was a popular model and a pretty common find.

I've read somewhere that Attex held 60% of the national market for years. Considering the number of manufacturers throughout the industry's heyday, that's a real feat. That would also explain why the yellow machines are so plentiful.

Don

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don, would you say that the bulk of Attex machines remained around PA for the most part? I remember the first time I saw an Attex around the Buffalo was back when I was just 16 or 17. I had seen many Maxes before that though. The next time I saw an Attex was in 2004 or 2005 and it was in PA. I'd say that 90% of the Attexs that I have bought were from PA. Only one was in NY.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I'd assume that the closer you get to the manufacturing plant, the more old machines you're going to find, but I've picked up Attexes pretty far away (I won't say how far: people would think it a little strange). I think there were more dealerships in PA and OH than anyplace else, so probably more were sold there.

Can we start a sound off for Attex model, serial #s, and year if known? Mine is a ST/400/R, serial# 2232(per dash sticker), year `70-`71 ????

The Max owners are having all the fun

I was enjoying the list above of all the different models available, amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    Can we start a sound off for Attex model, serial #s, and year if known?

I'm out. This would force me to count, and my therapist says enumerating my problems isn't a good thing.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. For those unfamiliar with Attex serial numbers, second and third generation Attex machines have the "serial number" stamped on the rear, right, upper frame rail. There is a smaller set of numbers (sequential frame number, supposedly) and a larger, two digit number (74, for example) signifying the year. The one clincher is that the year stamped doesn't *necessarily* denote what year the entire machine is; it could be a year or so off. The number really only determines when the frame was supposedly made. A couple different sources have noted that some frames sat around for a year, two or more depending on production demands.

It'll be interesting to see all of the data as the list grows... I'll try to get some of my numbers this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread