Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

Was camera-less when I removed the remaining axles from the PA machine.I will photograph and post pics of how I remove one of the MI. machines axles. Frame is out of the PA machine

Parts

And now the PA mach is loaded up for the trip to Holiday Camplands in Andover,Oh.to await it's turn to be built,

this is where she'll sit for a while,

The "MI." 252 loaded up for the trip to Cleveland.This is the machine I got from thebuggyman1 at Pine Lake in Oct.

The first snowfall that's sticking this year

Joe.

Great progress, Joe. I commented on one of the pictures that I was a bit confused what the other body was, but then realized that you have both 252 machines now. 'Tough to keep track after a while, huh?

Thanks Mike! Yep,2 identical 252's.I just classed them "PA." and "MI." so I can keep em separate One interesting observation.on the PA mach,noticed the right output shaft has the brake disc attachment but not the left side and the machine has disc's (and calipers) on the front sprocket tubes. Just figured,o well,perhaps this trans has some secrets about it. When I started working on the MI mach,I see the exact same configuration on it. I wonder how "the rest of that story" goes Maybe a parking brake of sorts was on the boards at the Attex factory in 1972?

Joe

The T-20 disc brake setup certainly is a mystery, Joe. And, I didn't even realize your had two 252 Colts until now. Cool! From what I've read, the disc brakes on the T-20 were only used on the Chiefs and Thunderchiefs. Those didn't come out until 1973. Attex did some odd things and they used parts laying around and put parts, frames, engines, and other things together that the years didn't match up as we'd usually expect sometimes. For example, I had an ST/295 (a 6 chain machine you would think) but it had a 4 chain frame in it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    For example, I had an ST/295 (a 6 chain machine you would think) but it had a 4 chain frame in it.
    Yup, just like at least one of Joe's Colts....

Well, it's a six chain frame converted over to a four chain.

"Well, it's a six chain frame converted over to a four chain"

Mike,how would we know this?

Joe.

The six chain frames originally had the round 1" cross tubes in the back, and sprocket chain idlers for the front two chains. Attex retrofitted the six chain frames with the "pull back" chain adjusters for the back two chains by attaching them to the back cross tube with the apparatus you see in the picture you took. Later frames that were designed from the beginning to be four-chain machines had a square cross-tube and the chain adjusters bolted right through that cross-bar with a half inch bolt. Additionally, the later four chain machines had a polyethylene chain slider to take up slack on the front two chains. I haven't taken a good look at Gizmo's guts, but I'm imagining that he's (he IS a him, right? ) running the later style frame and adjusters.

::EDIT:: I should probably qualify this, since I'm sort of rambling with no substantial data to back me up. I've seen several frames that seem to have been designed to either run the four chain or six chain setup. I shouldn't say that one's been "converted". It's quite possible that Attex fully intended on running both the four and six chain design at the same time. I always figured that since the later machines were four chain units that it was a natural, intended progression in the design. They're both great designs, but the four chain setup is a LOT easier to keep chains adjusted in my opinion.
    Last edited by hydromike; 11-28-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Yup, just like at least one of Joe's Colts....

Well, it's a six chain frame converted over to a four chain.
    Nope, it was actually a true 4 chain frame in the ST/295 body. A 4 chain frame just like one out of a Wild Wolf, Chief, or Superchief. Here's the frame:

Now here's a Colt frame from another machine and I think these pics in my gallery. I think these will help explain what Mike is saying.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks Mike,that's some neat history.Gizmo's frame has the square tubes with the bolt thru them.and the front sliders about mid way on the bottom of the loop.Initially thought these would wear quickly but they are doing well.The numbers on the frame are 73 J 015989,I think it's a '73.When I began disassembling the first Colt I really noticed the rear adjusters and wondered why so much hardware.
    Jeff,thanks for the pics.Think the second one answers a question I would have posted sooner or later.That is,do the chains go over or under the sprocket type front adjusters.Looks like under,correct?
    Oh,and since Giz will most likely never be an object of speed,beauty or grace that say's he's a him,right?

1973 frame.Rear adjusters.Square cross tube with 1/2" bolt thru it.

1973 frame.Front adjusters.The slider type on the bottom of the loop.

Joe.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 11-30-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added pic's

Joe, the chains should go under the front idler sprockets......the idler sprockets should be pushing down on chains to keep the proper tension on them.

+ Reply to Thread