Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget"

Thanks Larry,we need all the help we can get! May have an opportunity to test it out this Sat. None of my friends can make it so I would reluctantly go alone. Not a big advocate of this for numerous reasons,one being recovery (that shouldn't be necessary,right?) of a machine from out in the woods. So,sushhhh,don't tell anyone but I'm going to pack my Honda quad and take it"just in case". If I don't make it out there this weekend,I'll just put some more time in on Gizmo.

Wow,just plain WOW! Made it out to my property this past Sat. Got to use the winch AGAIN to drag an inoperable machine onto the trailer. Darn thing started giving me idle problems rite off the trailer. Figured,ok,drive some and see what happens then clean carb AGAIN. Made it about 70 yards from camp and it up and starts sputtering and not responding to throttle at all. Let off throttle and instantly dies. OK,clean carb again. Re-install carb. Give little shot of either (til bowl fills back up) and won't fire. No.NO!!!!! Not this AGAIN!!! O,ok,here we go. Gee why are we blowing up backward through the carb and where did that obnoxious metallic "tinging" sound go? I bet I know. I'd already bet the noise was valve related so now it's time to pull this engine out AGAIN. Yep,broken intake valve spring now. This is this engines last chance. And no,I'm not even replacing the seal just now. I have invested WAY TOO much time and $$ into this engine already. It's getting a new spring and retainer for the keepers ($10 of parts) and going back together. If it does anything other than run good it will be coming back out and heading for the glue factory. Wow,just plain wow.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 12-30-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Don't give up on it yet Joe. It'll take time to work some bugs out of the ol' girl, but you'll get it. Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

Hope your doing both on that side why it's open, weak spring would explain ticking sound and a valve while it's open is prudent.

Are there different thickness head gaskets?

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    ..................... Remember, this is supposed to be fun.
    Yes,this is what I keep telling myself

Jim, I'm only finding one P/N for head gasket so I'll assume there is only one thickness. What was the train of thought there?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Yes,this is what I keep telling myself

Jim, I'm only finding one P/N for head gasket so I'll assume there is only one thickness. What was the train of thought there?
    Did a flathead Ford tractor once and after rebuild the valves hit the head (tapping loader than yours was), turned out to be the head had been shaved too many times. Needed new head to cure. Made no noise til running.

Had to pay the Marine/Mower shop up the road $20 to install a $5 spring w/ a $5 retainer in the M18's PTO side cylinder. Guess I shoulda' looked here first,lol Lisle Tools 23300 Small Engine Valve Spring Compressor | eBay Began re-assembly of engine yesterday,have a little more to do and should be running it up and hopefully installing it into the machine. I would have liked to take some pic's of this entire fiasco but my camera became extremely jealous of the cushy lives my toy's have been living lately and has also decided to stop working.

Don't worry Joe! After a few months of unemployment are over, your camera will have no choice to go back to work.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Slowly working on reconditioning a Kohler M20 that Drew and Jeff gave to me. Thanks again,men! Right now I have invested $59.01 in rings and seals. Will also toss in new head gaskets. If I can get this one running nice it will replace the M18. The 18 needs torn down to see what the klanking is. Moved this into the build bay yesterday,Gizmo is going to have to wait in the storage bldg a little longer.

Gadget made it to Pine Lake a couple weeks ago. Now mind you,I am the most weight this machine has toted around in who knows how many years. Daughter and Her friend were enroute to our cottage and decided to stop by and take it for a spin. This fellow is about offensive lineman stature and the daughter adds about another 100 #'s. They hop in and head across the grass and as they're making a left turn onto the dirt pit road,BANG and there goes the left rear wheel. They were waved back to camp and felt really bad not only for breaking my machine but also in such short order,lol. I had a little fun with them while they still had long faces and then said,No Problem here,let's go to Drew and Jeffs treasure trobe of parts,they'll have what I need to fix this. And they did. And again THANK YOU both for carting all those parts back and forth,they always seem to save at least one persons trip. Had Gadget trail ready in about half an hour. Then told the kids,don't flatter yourselves,we'll look but I'm willing to already bet that we will see evidence that this thing was just waiting to fail from another trauma it suffered earlier in it's life.

+ Reply to Thread