400 chief bearing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 400 chief bearing

400 chief bearing

On my attex chief are the inner and outer axle bearings the same? one has a collar that comes off and the inner one does not. any part no. would be great Thanks!!

Not sure if they are the same bearing, the one that the collar comes off is just a locking collar probably goes on the outside, and the one with out goes on the inside. Call the people at Buffalo bearings (1800-669-8019) they will be able to get you new bearings and/or flanges if you need them.

The inner and outer bearings are the same 52mm OD and 1" ID. The inners and outers both can have the eccentric locking collars on them, but the difference is the outers will have a "R3" at the end of them, meaning "triple lip seal". The guys at Buffalo Bearing will know what you need, tell them you have a 6 wheeler and the bearings fit in the two piece stamped steel flange. Let them know the dimensions I gave you and tell them the "R3" are for the outers.......the inners can be single or double lip seals.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks JP, so does that mean since the outer bearing has a grease zert it just help's keep water out? Thanks!

Glad to help. It means the R3 bearings have 3 lip seals to keep the mud and water out. The outer bearing flanges are what has the grease zerk in them so you can pump grease into the bearings.......there's a very little hole in the outer bearing race that you line up with the grease zerk so the grease flows into the bearing.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

i have a 1973 attex and i blew out my left outter bearing and i have not the first clue what to do or what parts are involved any info would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by waynef570 View Post
    i have a 1973 attex and i blew out my left outter bearing and i have not the first clue what to do or what parts are involved any info would be greatly appreciated
    Same bearing and info below applies to you. Just call buffalo bearing. You may want to just to the whole set, inners and outers. They know what you need. Make sure you use antisieze during installation. If the PO did not, they may need cut off.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Same bearing and info below applies to you. Just call buffalo bearing. You may want to just to the whole set, inners and outers. They know what you need. Make sure you use antisieze during installation. If the PO did not, they may need cut off.
    Drew is absolutely right. And your Attex isn't a 1973 since it has the poly body by the way, it's a 1976 or newer, but it still will use the same bearings. 52mm OD, 1" ID "R3" triple lip seal and it fits in a stamped steel 2 piece flange and uses an eccentric locking collar. There's all the info you need.

in the vin on the frame it say 73 i thought thats what the year was?

The numbers are really all general. The frame was likely made in 1973, but it could've been put in a machine in 1974 (or 1975? later?) when the machine was originally built. It's also possible that somebody else put the older frame into the machine during a fix-up years back. There's really not much of a difference between a 1973 frame and later units.

+ Reply to Thread