Value of a Tank trainer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Tank trainer

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Ha! You are RIGHT about the "not mint" or "like new". Both 5 and Rhonda continually get hammered right into the ground. Race and I both have a unique attachment to our 'Trainers, and I doubt either of us will part with them 'till we're dead. It took a lot of time and money to get it into good enough shape to make Ledges 2009, and she's continually getting repaired, modified, repainted and re-thrashed. Poor 5 has to endure the wrath of GeoJem as well.

....that's suPPOSED to start at 7:50.

The ABS body was hammered when I got it. I repaired the cracks, reinforced the body with a lot of steel and the cracks still reappear. It's not a trailer queen, it's not some untouchable example of AATV history. She's 5. It's not all that pretty, and it breaks down from time to time, bends axles, it's blasted a distributor apart, it's thrashed several sprocket tubes, it's broken chains, it's wripped bearings right out of the flanges, and limped home from dozens of destinations. It gets stuck, it tows bulldozers out, and it's awesome. I don't have a good idea of what it's worth, but I know I wouldn't take anything for it.... I think I bought the rolling shell for something like $250, but I'll have to be reminded by the person I got it from. It was expensive and very, very time consuming to rebuild. I think I did the math one time and figured out that I have something like $3k invested in it. That's a heavily used engine, a used tranny, used axles, used sprockets, and lot of ABS rod. The build helped drag me out of a pretty low-point, and I've learned a lot about building AATVs after that point. I hope to get her into the shop for a big upgrade at some point, but she just keeps ticking along the way she is.

I also forgot to mention that they are two of the finest examples known to the forum. I have never seen the red one in person so I don't know what condition it's really in. I will say that if I get a 6th personal machine, it will most likely be a tank trainer.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Good one Drew
    you are just one hell of a guy to take one for the team like that. I bet in your younger days you let your buddys set you up with their GF's friend too.

So, after 2 hours of searching, did you find it?

I said there was not one for sale....I never said anything about barter.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Good one Drew
    you are just one hell of a guy to take one for the team like that. I bet in your younger days you let your buddys set you up with their GF's friend too.

So, after 2 hours of searching, did you find it?

I said there was not one for sale....I never said anything about barter.
    No I didn't find one. I will say that I occasionally have people asking me to help locate a machine for them. Never has anyone asked for a tank trainer. To me, the 980 hustler is the most sought after vintage aatv out there. There has been a fantastic example of one with the best resto-mod work I have seen on a 980. It's been for sale for some time on the site. The price is only $4700 and its still for sale. That should tell you something about the value of even the most sought after vintage aatv.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Drew, the red one is mine. I took the paint off. I believe it was sold as a rescue vehicle and not to the military. It only has one crack on lower tub above the right rear tire and a dent near one headlight. It never had the badge on the dash saying combat similater. I believe that's why it wasn't destroyed or abused like the others. It belong to Lockport Township fire department. Hence lpfd on side. Near three rivers Michigan. It is bone stock except for I put the Tecumseh oh180 in it. The original Jlo twin engine with mount will bolt back up. The front seat appears to be out of a car. The roll cage also has the extra hoops. I have videos on YouTube when I got it. I had it at ashtubula a few years back but it wasn't running very good. Turned out to be a dirty air cleaner choking it out. Well that's the story on the ex red one lol

I believe we had the red 8x8 when I was little, just for a short time. We got it from a hippie not too far from the house. All I remember is the rear seat being very warm

Quote Originally Posted by Nick O. View Post
    I believe we had the red 8x8 when I was little, just for a short time. We got it from a hippie not too far from the house. All I remember is the rear seat being very warm
    I talked to your dad about what he paid for the red one Nick. $1700.00 is what he remembered.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Yes! I believe you did.

Side note. I have seen and drove 5. All I can say is

I have yet to see Rhonda. Its on my list.

Rhonda taking a bath!

Banned

Wow, that looks like fun..I'm pretty sure I don't have that kind of reverse though.

Value of a tank trainer.... lets see. I think I (Beth) gave $800 for Rhonda. Then there was the nightmare senario where she was reported stolen which eventually involved 4 States worth of State Police, and the FBI... A nonstop 32 hour drive to go get her... 100+ hours in plastic welding, ABS goo repair... Frame out rebuild, second rebuild to upgrade to splined axles, Vanguard conversion... on her second T-20, 8 new tires and wheels...... Like H-Mike, I probably have 3-4K in the machine. Not worth a damn thing, and I wouldn't sell her for any price!

Sadly, none of the above is a joke, but seriously. A Tank Trainer's value is just like anything else. How bad do you want one, and how much work are you willing to put in? Larry's (Red one) is probably the least beat to death one you will ever find. Mine, Mikes, and the one that Marshgunner sold a few months ago were all DESTROYED. Currently these are the only 4 machined I know of. If you find one, you will probably have a lot more time and money tied up in it than it will ever be "worth".

As for rare machines... I agree that this is probably the most sought after, but far from the rarest. My TomCat is one of 2 made, and was kept by the owner of the company till he died... Hustler Bigfoot's are considered rare, but I know of 10 or more that I've seen on the trails. I would part with mine for the right price. Not the case with Rhonda!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread