Value of a Tank trainer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of a Tank trainer

Value of a Tank trainer

The value of antique machines gets debated quite a bit, but it really boils down to a used machine is worth exactly what you can get someone to pay for it. That said, I had the discussion about a tank trainer.......
    OK, before people (especially Drew ) start combing C.L., Ebay, and every other classified,
    I need to say that there is NOT A TANK TRAINER FOR SALE. Relax and stay on the forums.
    For the Newbies: Attex made an 8 wheeler for the US Army for training purposes.[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These are the 2 best pictures I know of.
    This tank trainer is arguably the most sought after of the super rare machines, and in my opinion should command the highest price tag.

My thoughts are: In rough shape, maybe around $1500.
    Restored right, modern motor good tires etc. around $5k
    Restored + enhanced, 1 1/4 splined axles, big hp motor, custom upholstery, closer to $8k+ depending on all the details.

Since there is not one for sale.....I started this just to see the discussion.
    How desirable do you feel a T.T. is ? And is one worth what I think?

They are junk abs bodies that have been beat on by the military. No one should ever pay more than $100 for one. If you see one for sale, the best thing to do would be to just let me know. I will make sure no one makes the mistake of purchasing the machine by spending my own money to help prevent anyone here form buying an overpriced old abused machine.
    Last edited by amphibious drew; 09-04-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: For real the upgrades don't add to the true value $5 grand original mint condition price goes down from there.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

uhm ,sounds kinda fishy to me, lol

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    They are junk abs bodies that have been beat on by the military. No one should ever pay more than $100 for one. If you see one for sale, the best thing to do would be to just let me know. I will make sure no one makes the mistake of purchasing the machine by spending my own money to help prevent anyone here form buying an overpriced old abused machine.
    What a kind and generous gentleman

What a guy to take one for the team like that

hey,,, wait a minute,,,,,, i seen this same tactic used before!?!?!?!?! Talk about the machine and how bad it is, and then you buy it! ha hah ah ha ha hah Drew, your way too funny dude!!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Or better yet some poor guy could post a picture of it inadvertently with a link attached asking the value and you can buy it out from underneath him.

In any case I think Paul recently sold his for like $700.00 bucks because "They are junk abs bodies that have been beat on by the military". and that is probably an understatement.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Ageed if you find one,up to 1500 give or take,restored right 5K for me would be pushing it,restored enhanced I,m out at 8K they are cool piece of history no doubt but can not for me command that kind of dollar value,if it was a no hour original that fell between the cracks maybe,I have only seen one old Attex that I would consider ponying up hard for and that would be Gus Marone,s 400 a beauty buts thats off subject.Cheers NCT

Ok seriously. I think $700-$1200 for a "project machine" seems relatively fair IF its complete and not destroyed. I think $5000 for a mint condition, like new, all original would be a fair price as well. A resto-mod machine would be worth roughly the same maybe a bit less. Collectors typically pay less if a machine has been altered, but not always. I would think $3500-$4000 for one like hydromike's or racerone3's before it was modified with the big hole or post Brian fixing the big hole would be the current fair market value. Both machines received major restoration work, but neither is what I would consider mint/like new when purchased. Also, I believe these particular 2 machines would be sold more to enthusiasts than collectors. The difference being enthusiasts drive their machines on the trails, and collectors will only drive them on the grass when its sunny outside. All that being said, I would consider buying one to resto-mod myself for less than $1000 if the tub was at least better than my colts tub. Any worse and I don't think I would be excited to take on the project. I am no collector so I'm out for the $5000 machine, and I don't feel like buying a machine that doesn't need a bit of work so I am also out if its a nice resto-mod thats priced at fair market value. All bets are off if the deals right though!!!

BTW thanks Buggyman. Like I had nothing better to do than search all of Craigslist and Ebay for the last 2 hours. If anyones interested there is a mostly complete sidewinder in CO for a tad over $2g.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Both machines received major restoration work, but neither is what I would consider mint/like new when purchased. Also, I believe these particular 2 machines would be sold more to enthusiasts than collectors.
    Ha! You are RIGHT about the "not mint" or "like new". Both 5 and Rhonda continually get hammered right into the ground. Race and I both have a unique attachment to our 'Trainers, and I doubt either of us will part with them 'till we're dead. It took a lot of time and money to get it into good enough shape to make Ledges 2009, and she's continually getting repaired, modified, repainted and re-thrashed. Poor 5 has to endure the wrath of GeoJem as well.

....that's suPPOSED to start at 7:50.

The ABS body was hammered when I got it. I repaired the cracks, reinforced the body with a lot of steel and the cracks still reappear. It's not a trailer queen, it's not some untouchable example of AATV history. She's 5. It's not all that pretty, and it breaks down from time to time, bends axles, it's blasted a distributor apart, it's thrashed several sprocket tubes, it's broken chains, it's wripped bearings right out of the flanges, and limped home from dozens of destinations. It gets stuck, it tows bulldozers out, and it's awesome. I don't have a good idea of what it's worth, but I know I wouldn't take anything for it.... I think I bought the rolling shell for something like $250, but I'll have to be reminded by the person I got it from. It was expensive and very, very time consuming to rebuild. I think I did the math one time and figured out that I have something like $3k invested in it. That's a heavily used engine, a used tranny, used axles, used sprockets, and lot of ABS rod. The build helped drag me out of a pretty low-point, and I've learned a lot about building AATVs after that point. I hope to get her into the shop for a big upgrade at some point, but she just keeps ticking along the way she is.

+ Reply to Thread