1st. Attex Rebuild done over.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st. Attex Rebuild done over.

1st. Attex Rebuild done over.

As mentioned in the end of the thread Joe's 252 Colt Trail Machine "Gadget" ,the only way to properly rebuild these older "tossed around" machines is to completely disassemble them. Why was this not done originally? I want to be as accurate and informative as poss so bare with me. I type slow,think even slower.
    Had my Argo for a while before I discovered a "group ride". This was at "The Ledges". It was there that I got involved with this bunch known as "6x6world" members. After one trail ride my daughter Lyndsey said "we ride with these guys from now on Dad,got it?" It was right about then when I got the "bug" for a second AATV. That's when I bought my first Hustler 880. My oldest son Andy and I had it completely disassembled within about a week. Then,after about 3-4 months I came to the conclusion that I was in wayyyyyyy over my head and still didn't have a clue as to what to do first.For reasons beyond my control,the clock began ticking and I wanted to get a second machine on the trail asap. My goal was to have it ready for April of the following year (it's August now). So,one Sept day I went to Waterford,PA and had an Attex project follow me home.

This one was being readied for service when I got it and figured it was my best bet to get something running asap as a lot of things were already addressed.

out of time,to be continued

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    It was there that I got involved with this bunch known as "6x6world" members.
    <raises beer>.... Sher's nice-iz hell ta <hic!> haveyaonboard, Joe...

I remember that I picked up the Thunderchief body/frame from Mr. Mielke (I think?) and you had just picked up Giz' about a week or so earlier. It's really come a long way, and as a testament to your addiction, you're already to tear it back apart and start over again! What a horrible, silly cycle of labor we volunteer ourselves for. Ain't it great?

What are the plans this time?

[QUOTE=hydromike;157495]<raises beer>.... Sher's nice-iz hell ta <hic!> haveyaonboard, Joe...

Thanks Capn',it's good to be aboard <hic>

So,as I was saying earlier "This one was being readied for service when I got it and figured it was my best bet to get something running asap as a lot of things were already addressed."

Wow was that an over confident,inexperienced,assumption. I still spent a LOT of time fussing with things like the brake discs on the trans,reinforcements for the trans mounting,all things I wanted to shore up to prevent breakdowns. Most of which were not to my satisfaction because I just could not "get at " the work due to something in the way,no clearance,etc,etc. Just too darn cumbersome to access the frame when it's stuffed down in the tub. I was quite impressed with how the Heim joints took some slop out of the sticks,though.

"What are the plans this time?"

Quite like the Colt I just "finished",Giz is pretty much going to look the same when complete as she does now,on the outside,that is. Well,maybe removing the "RodP Droop" from the body will be noticeable but other than that,most of the work will be internal. Remember,I don't care a whole lot what they look like as long as they get me home before that piece falls off. So,here is Gizmo's unofficial work order;

-Remove the "droop" all the way around the body

-Lift the "nose" up a little. Looks like something heavy sat on the gas cap area for a long time,pushing it down a little.

-Install bracing to prevent everything from just sagging back in due time.

-Repair all the holes/leaks in the lower tub.

-Install some kind of skid plate(s)

-Install the poly fuel tank with full alum frame that I bought for this unit.

-Remove the brake discs and related hardware
    from the trans.

-Install "Colt" Type brakes on the front axles.

-Modifications to the existing engine mount to make it more practical/user friendly.

-Disassemble and service the drive clutch.

-And,last but not least,maybe try to get a different seat installed. Possibly one with some springs or one mounted on the lawn tractor seat springs I have.

That's it for now but I'm sure that will be added to before it's all said and done,lol. Because,as another member recently commented "I never pass up a chance to create more problems for myself"

Had a few minutes last sat so I got a few thing like the exhaust,seat & engine bay cover and chains removed.

Then I had some time wed nite so I got the engine and trans removed
    If,IF the sprocket tubes cooperate,I should be able to have the frame out and sitting on saw horses in a couple o' three/four hours.

Joe.

Time to bump this thread with a progress report. We've been having a good old fashioned winter here in Cleveland,cold. I got out to the garage for a day over New Years week. I have the frame hanging from the hoist a few inches over the body. That's it. It'll start warming up soon.......

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    <raises beer>.... Sher's nice-iz hell ta <hic!> haveyaonboard, Joe...

I remember that I picked up the Thunderchief body/frame from Mr. Mielke (I think?) and you had just picked up Giz' about a week or so earlier.
    Yep, it's Merle that you're thinking of in Erie, PA. You've got a good memory.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

It's update time. Yes Jeff,that was Merle in Waterford,PA. that I got Gizmo from. I just spent two hours riding in the company van talking my self out of adding more to Gizmo's to-do list. I re-thought the garden tractor springs for seat suspension thing and am going to hold off on the full blown suspension seat idea for now. I want to get this one back on the trail asap and besides,that's an excuse to build my other Colt so I have something to put this seat into,lol. Anyhow,I said before that the set-up in the build bay with the build frame on saw horses facing the back of the bay with the tub end to end facing the front of the bay is nice. Makes it very easy to test fitment in the body before committing to anything on the build frame. The hoist on the barn door track is the ticket for this.

I was really trying to over complicate this build by contemplating the installation of this nice suspension seat. But the "I have many other things I want to do and there never seems to be enough time" thing changed my mind. (for now,lol)

So I think I will try to stay focused on the original work orders.

It's update time again. As per the original work order straightening of tubs was required. You can see in this pic how flattened Gizmo's "hood" is from having something setting on it.

In this pic you can see where the mud & water were pouring in through the gap between the upper and lower via the flange.

This shot show it also.

Trying to straighten out the upper and push the "hood" back up some. In this pic there are blocks under the fuel filler hole to try to hold it up and allow the rest of the body to sorta "sag" around it.

Quick update,camera still on the fritz so no pics again. Got to learn about 3M Stripcalk. Great stuff. Has an uncanny ability to adhere to poly! Ran two "beads" of it all around the lower tub flange. 1 inside the screw holes and one outside. Used some 1x1x1/8 angle for side rails (top/side) and 1/8x3/4 flat bar for the "bottom" and sandwiched the lower,the calk and the upper between these. Turned out nice. Sealed the front and rear of machine re-using items/hdwr that were originally in place. Prior to joining the tub halves,I took some 3/16x1-1/2x24 flat bar pieces,heated a section and bent them 90 deg. around a 6" dia mandrel. This produced a nice 3" radius to conform to that of the lower tub. These go from the frame up and around toward the flange to further support it. They're the nice black pieces in the rest of the ugliness.

This is just about it for the "bodywork" now I need to get the frame on horses and begin assembling it. I'm still on the fence regarding use of OEM Attex brakes or just installing hydraulic,the rest is mostly straightforward.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 04-30-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added pic,finally got a camera.

Update time. It's been almost 1 year since I began this project. The jury is back on the brakes. The OEM Colt stuff will not just "bolt right in" because of the way the frame rails are on a true 4 chain frame amoung other things. Assembly would require a procedure to rival any of NASA's and I stopped while pondering how they would be to service in the field. Hydraulic it is. Got a nice Yamaha dual caliper set up. Working on ideas now of how to make and install discs onto the original front sprocket tubes. Once this is done,as previously mentioned,the rest is mostly straightforward.

Wow...kewl project I have to say and nicely done!

Lots of hard work here I see.

NASA rivalled assembly procedure and service...buwa ha ha...good one...I think I did that to my six wheeler ugh!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread