Attex project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Attex project

First modification almost complete on my project. I've wanted to add the pivot to the T-20 for a long time. Finally figured out an easy way to do it with my basic tools.

Drilled center pivot hole in U channel. Same size bit used to tap a 3/8 hole.

Installed U channel on transmission using just the bolts to keep it from moving. I made sure the hole was centered on the casting.

Using the U channel as a guide, I drilled the hole into the transmission.

I will enlarge the hole to 1/2 for a bushing. I will be using 3/8 ID - 1/2 OD spacers or bushings for the U channel pivots.

I also enlarged the hole for the hairpins to one size over 1/4 to use 1/4 inch pins to take up the slop between the bolts and the pins. (drilling it 1/4 didn't give enough clearance for the bolt) I will also slot the heads to make adjustments easier.

Made some progress painting this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    Made some progress painting this weekend.
    Doing frame out restoration on my MAX II. What did you use to sandblast your frame seeing as I'm pretty sure that couldn't fit inside your HF sandblast cabinet. You use a portable tank and deal with the mess? And also what do you suggest as far as paint?

I used a siphon feed blaster from sears in the same corner of the garage where I've been painting. I made a blasting booth out of tarps.
    I used tractor paint from Tractor Supply. I used the enamel hardener with it and I'm very happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    I used a siphon feed blaster from sears in the same corner of the garage where I've been painting. I made a blasting booth out of tarps.
    I used tractor paint from Tractor Supply. I used the enamel hardener with it and I'm very happy with the results.
    I had similar idea of tarping off an area in my garage so thanks for making it seem like I actually had a good idea haha. And tractor paint is a pretty good idea seeing as i'm sure its tough. And in my case there is a tractor supply 5 minutes from my house. Perfect. Thanks Liflod

Mock up of frame assembly.

Nice job on the U-channel pivots! Thanks for posting the pics. Great idea replacing the hairpin clips behind the bolt heads with clevis pins. That is a big area of slop that has now been easily removed from the circuit. I was getting ready to do a lot (more than desired) of work switching the guts of a U-channel type over to a popsicle stick hsng. I think I'm going top follow your lead instead.

I found a use for the old Chief I had in the graveyard! The body has/had about 15 extra pounds of aluminum and fiberglass holding it together.
    Now I can complete the fabrication knowing exactly where the seat floorboard and engine cover are located.

Axle
    Last edited by liflod; 04-11-2014 at 04:19 PM.

I've been making some progress on the project.

+ Reply to Thread