Anyone building springer kits?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anyone building springer kits?

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    Here is a chart giving U joint life expectancy at different angles. Now say a joint will go 200,000 miles, even 10% of that is pretty good. Add to that the low spped of an AATV. 15 degrees each way gives you 30 degrees total. Off road truck guys will commonly run 30 degrees you will find. Depending on how you design everything to pivot will determin if you need a slip yoke or not. The Avenger I pictured earlier does not use one.

Keith.
    Slip yokes, or a sliding shaft would be an issue. It would have to be sealed completely as a little bit of dirt/mud would add too much resistance. The better design would be to have the pivot points perfectly aligned so the shaft didn't need to change it's length. CV joints have the shaft slippage inside the boot, but then the boot is subject to damage.
    U-joints are very durable and less prone to damage from sticks etc........I'd build with U-joints. Unless you went way high with the horsepower, it would be easy to build the shafts yourself with limited access to machine tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post

You should have contacted Whipper about that one. Pretty sure ALL 6 would have been a lot less than $300 ea. like you said
    I havent bought them yet, I was in talks with whipper but couldnt find anyone local to measure the spline so i could send him the data so the idea just kinda went away.

Judging by the number of views this thread has had in the two weeks its been posted there sure seems to be a large interest in the Springer craze!
    Would be a shame to let Whipper's hard work and expertise fade away. Would bet there is enough interest to keep him busy.

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Judging by the number of views this thread has had in the two weeks its been posted there sure seems to be a large interest in the Springer craze!
    Would be a shame to let Whipper's hard work and expertise fade away. Would bet there is enough interest to keep him busy.
    Whipper and Bridget are already beyond busy running Apache Gear. They barely ever have time to take any extended period off to go and play with toys, let alone buy new ones.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post

+1 to this. I would be interested in a kit if they were made again

+ Reply to Thread