Anyone building springer kits?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone building springer kits?

Anyone building springer kits?

Anyone here building springer kits or maybe specs on a kit? Ive contacted a member or two who have built them and it seems they are no longer building kits. I have a 78 superchief and would like to build a springer with it. Any ideas or know of any kits? Thanks all

I would be interested in a kit as well if they are still being made or someone has plans

Did you guys try reaching out to Whipper? I dony know if he is still making them, but iwould think he is the best place to start.

I asked Whipper. He is no longer making them. I dont think he wants to help as well. Is there any one else that might have built them or has the plans or blueprints and parts list? I could try to build my own if I knew what was needed. thanks.

I have threw around the idea of making my 6x6 into a springer. The A arms and hubs are pretty straight forward and would be easy to machine. The shocks and bearings are easy to find at reasonable prices. The biggest problem I found is finding the CV joints at a reasonable price or machining them.
    Courage Invites Critics

Im trying to find someone who has built them that's willing to help with some of the details. Would like to turn my Superchier into a springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lantz View Post
    I have threw around the idea of making my 6x6 into a springer. The A arms and hubs are pretty straight forward and would be easy to machine. The shocks and bearings are easy to find at reasonable prices. The biggest problem I found is finding the CV joints at a reasonable price or machining them.
    There are designs that do not use a CV if that is a problem for you.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

I just picked up a Superchief with intentions of a Springer conversion. Maybe if enough people have interest Whipper will put some more kits together, or partial kits?

Im interested and it looks like others are as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kghills View Post
    There are designs that do not use a CV if that is a problem for you.

Keith.
    I thought about using universal joints but the rpm's and the angles are limited. With CV joints you could get steeper angles (more wheel travel) and higher speeds (rpm's). Unless you know of some other way of doing it?

Without over extending my wheel base width I could only get about 6" of wheel travel which would only add about 3" of ground clearance.
    Courage Invites Critics

+ Reply to Thread