Help ! anyone know if a B&S L block 18 hp Briggs fit into my Attex tub ??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help ! anyone know if a B&S L block 18 hp Briggs fit into my Attex tub ??

Help ! anyone know if a B&S L block 18 hp Briggs fit into my Attex tub ??

Hello all from Northern Nevada. I feel like I am all alone out here in the west !!
    First I want to compliment the moderator on this site for doing such a great job.
    Also I am always amazed by the amount of knowledge offered here. And to how helpful everyone is.
    I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with the rebuild of the Chief. I was going to drop the original JLO back in when a friend offered me a Briggs and Stratton 18 HP
    L block. I would prefer the 4stroke to the JLO. does anyone have any experience with this engine ? and will it fit in my tub ?
    thanks.
    Any one out there in N California or Nevada?. I have some great trail rides out my back door.

Here's one, Shane Kearney's gallery, looks like if it were mounted lower you may get away with out cutting the engine cover but a very long belt would be needed. Should work in a little truck nice.

http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/data.../attex_009.JPG

Not identical but very similar,here is an 18hp opposed Kohler in my Colt,

Here it is with the engine bay cover down so,yes,it will fit,just takes a little custom duct work

Be advised,you will need to change the spring in your secondary clutch if reusing it. Best wishes on your project.

OOPS, forgot about Joe's build. If I am wrong and you are talking an 18hp single cylinder ( which I've never seen) it would be much like the Tomahawk with the Tecumseh and should be fine.

I put the same engine in a Max II, using the same 49" belt, HP2031 that I used in my Attex with the Vanguard.

[QUOTE=ARGOJIM;1 If I am wrong and you are talking an 18hp single cylinder ( which I've never seen) it would be much like the Tomahawk with the Tecumseh and should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Jim,that's what I originally thought with the "L block" mention,then just assumed it's an opposed by the hp. Yeah,a single should fit real easy.

Thanks everyone, It Is a two cyl. as soon as I pick it up I will add some photos. from what I can tell the L refers to the cylinders are horizontal but at a offset. I was able to find some info online. the model # is 422437.
    I think the l block will make it longer but not wider than a vanguard ? Ill let you know what I find out. I am picking it up on Saturday.

I put a 18hp opposed B&S in my Attex as well. It will fit but you would probably have to modify the engine cover (I didn't use the engine cover on mine). Just watch the chains, I made my engine mount without the chains installed and ran into some problems there. Its a good engine some of the hustler models came with them, the only thing is some of them are getting up there in age and certain parts can be hard to find. But if someone is giving it to you I say go for it. Also you will have to get a new primary clutch and probably put a different spring in the driven clutch. I took mine out, and its awaiting a V twin Kawasaki as soon as I get it running.
    Courage Invites Critics

Many of the opposed engines came with a small charging system so a mounted alternator may be needed depending on that.

Mine had the front drive option with this sheave.

+ Reply to Thread