Recently acquired a 73 Attex Colt. . . .

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recently acquired a 73 Attex Colt. . . .

Recently acquired a 73 Attex Colt. . . .

I'm new to the forum. Just got my first 6 wheeler, and was really excited about it until I busted one of my firestone 3 bolt tires. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I can get my hands on a replacement wheel/tire? They seem pretty scarce and I'm not sure if I can put something different on it. Probably can't run on 5 tires without bending an axel.

Is there an inexpensive way of changing all of the tires out?

The guys at Adair Argo sell the 3-5 conversion kits for the hubs cheaper than you could get them made, or maybe even make them yourself. Rec stuff has cheap wheels, but the bead lock is not the best. Mudd-Ox could set you up with k-lock rims(Awsome rim) and even wrap tires around them for you, or you can get them at summit racing pretty cheap.

Another option is to post your location and see if anyone has an old balloon tire laying around.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

You can put an adapter on the wheel hub that will allow you to mount 4 or 5 bolt rims to the axle. Most Attexes running these days have them because the balloon tires are very hard to find.

You might find a set on the site if you post in the want ads.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    You can put an adapter on the wheel hub that will allow you to mount 4 or 5 bolt rims to the axle. Most Attexes running these days have them because the balloon tires are very hard to find.

You might find a set on the site if you post in the want ads.
    Your slightly faster my friend, but I gave a bit more info. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Your slightly faster my friend, but I gave a bit more info. Lol
    Nope, you're faster too.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Nope, you're faster too.
    Really, your post shows up before as older than mine, although they both say 7:15pm. I thought you got me by about the same amount of time as when you got the Attex 450 we both went after.

'73 Attex Colt in the title caught my attention. I recently finished a rebuild on a '72,http://www.6x6world.com/forums/attex...ne-gadget.html

anyhow,here are a couple examples of the "adaptors" Drew and George are talking about

Thanks for the responses. I am in the Dallas area. If I could find an old tire to get me by, that would be preferable. I just got the Recoil starter fixed, found a NOS cover (mine was damaged) and a set of springs. The Spring caps that came with the kit were the wrong kind, and wouldn't work. Wound up putting the old "nipple" caps back on, and works like a champ.

Now if I can just get that 6th wheel. . . . .

Those adapters look pretty straight forward, seems to be the way to go.

I also have a crack in the rear left corner (about 8 inches) that I need to figure out how to fix. I guess Fiberglass won't work, I see some folks using a "goo" compound which I need to figure out the recipe for.

Also need to figure out how to clean up the faded/stained tubs. Not sure if it needs to be sanded, or if there is some way to polish it out. I will read through the rebuild of Gadget and hopefully glean some ideas there.

Thanks guys!

Or if you wanted to skip using the 3 bolt hub and the 5 bolt adapter combination, you could just get these:

ATV Live Axle Hub | Chains, Sprockets Hubs| Northern Tool + Equipment
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Goo is made from acetone and abs. There is no proper mixture ratio. I started with maybe 50/50, but just add chunks of abs or acetone to get the desired thickness(cake batter). Search for my colt concoction thread and pictures to see what can be done.

As for cleaning, power wash with a good degreaser like purple power first. Then you have a decision to make. I used acetone and sanding to bring my body back. Some people claim acetone will put waves in the body and is a no no for cleaning. Do what you like, I thought my results were pretty good. I did buff afterwards as well.

+ Reply to Thread