6 volt

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 6 volt

6 volt

I have a 6 volt system on my Argo with brand new tractor lights that are 12 (figured out the hard way) is there a link to a resistor or voltage increased on eBay

A 6 volt system in an Argo? or any amphib? What type of Argo do you have, engine etc?

Attex 2 stroke Rockwell old dog

Aside from how rare it is, the answer for your question is You can't there (easily) from here.

A resistor will turn some power into heat and allow you to run 6V devices from a 12 system. In crude terms, 6V goes into having the resistor make heat, 6V goes into your 6V lamps and everyone is happy.

What you want is to go in the other direction, which is to make 12V when you've got 6V. Let's assume you've got typical 35W lights, that's 70W of power or 70/12 amps. That's 5.8Amps. The part you need is called a DC DC voltage converter and you should get one good for at least 7-8 amps. You could also look for a buck/boost converter.

They work by first converting your 6VDC into AC, then using a transformer to boost the voltage, and finally converting that higher voltage AC back into DC.

Expect to pay way more than it would cost you to get some 6'v bulbs or LEDs.

Don't recall any 6 volt Attex, is one fuse blown in the little Bosch box with the thumb screw?

Just for future reference, "Argo" is not slang for amphibious atvs. Only an Argo is an Argo.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I think I would convert the whole system over to 12V. 6V used to be a common voltage for farm/ recreational equipment and cars. The automotive industry started switching over to 12V in the early 50's. Farm equipment started switching over sometime after that. It is getting harder and harder to find 6V replacement parts. The hardest part of the project will be finding a 12V replacement starter and alternator that will fit your engine. The rest of the electrical equipment (there probably isn't that much of it) will be relatively easy to find and the rewiring would be simple to do.

As somebody else said, it might not be that hard to find a set of 6V lights that will get you going for the short term.
    Last edited by akcrawler; 06-15-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Just gotta lay this out there, why can't He just run a extra 6v battery and pull the 12v from both of them?

One of these Attex guys has to agree with me, unless someone changed the system over, every JLO I've ever seen has been 12 volt. If someone snuck a 6volt battery in there just to make it leave I can understand but even Ford was done with 6 volt in their tractors by 1965 (before Attex).
    The St300 brochure shows 12 volt, my 297 was 12 volt, my chief, thunderchief and superchief are 12 volt. Hell even my Bolens is 12 volt.

the battery, if 6 volt, may be the only reason the lights are not working.

+ Reply to Thread