HELLO BEEN A WHILE GUYS AND GALS need some diamond #50 chain for bruiser

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELLO BEEN A WHILE GUYS AND GALS need some diamond #50 chain for bruiser

HELLO BEEN A WHILE GUYS AND GALS need some diamond #50 chain for bruiser

Went for a hour ride just creeping around in the woods and the 6x6 BUG BIT ME Need to rechain bruiser and change frames from 6 chain to 4. I have a nice 4 chain thunderchief frame. Had 2 questions where is the best place to get diamond #50 chain a link to the place would be nice. And what problems can i expect with a change over to a thunderchief frame from a st 400 frame.I will be using the st 400 t20 are the any difference than besides the big discs brake.

I have a 4-chain frame in my colt racer. The colts were a 6 chain frame with the 4 chain conversion rails on it. The Superchief frame drops right in it. All the holes line up perfectly. I would consider going with 530 o-ring chain. I believe it's the same sprockets as the #50, cost more, but is as strong as #60. You got that big engine in it, so the extra strength in the chain wouldn't hurt.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Before you start measure the frames width, some of the early frames were only 24" wide the rest are 25-3/4 wide. The ST400 may have come with the wider frames, the 297 and 300 def. did not.

All ST/295, ST/400, Colt, Wild Wolf, Chief, Thunderchief, Superchief (Spirit, Tomahawk, Li'l Truck) frames are interchangeable with the same axle spacing and frame width. The pricing for Diamond roller chain is all over the place. You can often find a good deal on eBay, or a retailer like Motion Industries. Motion currently has domestic Diamond 50 chain for $8.86/ft. and $3.35/ft for Diamond Sapphire (import brand). That's a pretty common price for a retailer from what I've seen. There are lots of other good varieties out there, too. Timken Drives, U.S. Tsubaki, Renold, even HKK has been holding up well for me. Try this link at Motion:

https://www.motionindustries.com/mot...C1&numItems=10

As an example of ebay-ing it. Here's some domestic Diamond for less than half what Motion wants... But it's only 10', so you have to keep hunting for the rest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Chai...item461000161e

I've found #50 diamond chain as low as $1.50 / linear foot on Ebay. I stock up when I find it as I go through a lot of rolling stock.

Thanks guys for the replies had a another question how much chain does it take to rechain a thunderchief lol should ask this earlier and does the 530 o ring chain fit the sprockets. It seems to have a higher tensile strength

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    All ST/295, ST/400, Colt, Wild Wolf, Chief, Thunderchief, Superchief (Spirit, Tomahawk, Li'l Truck) frames are interchangeable with the same axle spacing and frame width. The pricing for Diamond roller chain is all over the place. You can often find a good deal on eBay, or a retailer like Motion Industries. Motion currently has domestic Diamond 50 chain for $8.86/ft. and $3.35/ft for Diamond Sapphire (import brand). That's a pretty common price for a retailer from what I've seen. There are lots of other good varieties out there, too. Timken Drives, U.S. Tsubaki, Renold, even HKK has been holding up well for me. Try this link at Motion:

As an example of ebay-ing it. Here's some domestic Diamond for less than half what Motion wants... But it's only 10', so you have to keep hunting for the rest.

Diamond Chain 50 Riv 10' x 1550 010 "New" | eBay
    not quite interchangable. same width and axle spacing, but the 6 chain frames don't have the 45 degree corners, and wont fit well into a later body (abs or poly)... the 90 degree corners on the frame dig into the body. going from a 6 chain to a 4 chain frame shouldn't be any issue though.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Good to hear from you, Jeff;

If you decide to go with something other than standard #50, you should consider 50H from McMaster/Carr. It's not Diamond brand, but I've put their 40H through some nasty tests and it holds up really well. The side plates on 50H are the same thickness as #60. I'm not sure what the prices of O-ring chain are up to, but this is $11 per foot.

Good Luck!

McMaster-Carr
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post

Diamond Chain 50 Riv 10' x 1550 010 "New" | eBay
    So basically all t-20 frames/bodies interchange, less Brian's info?

Jeff- just under 25' of chain will do it. A 50' roll will do two Attex machines with about 6" left over.

Jim- The frames from the ST and Colt models aren't as rounded on the bottom corners of the front and back, so they're a tight fit in a newer body, but they will fit. If you try to mix upper and lower bodies from the ST/Colt models and newer ones, they contours don't match up, but they'll go together with a little coaxing.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread