NOOB - where do I start!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NOOB - where do I start!

Here's a link to one poor lost soul's gallery that completed some of the largest ABS goo repairs in recorded history.

Colt Concoction - Amphibious ATV Pictures

[QUOTE=brassmonkey;174450]I did not know that about the Resin not sticking to plastic.

Will a 5hp work? 8?, 10? I see a lot of people with 20s on this site - is that necessary or just overkill?

Horsepower and overkill do not belong in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post

Horsepower and overkill do not belong in the same sentence.
    I've got an old small block out back - I guess I could mount it sideways & run a chain from the flywheel to the tranny drive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brassmonkey View Post
    I've got an old small block out back - I guess I could mount it sideways & run a chain from the flywheel to the tranny drive!!!
    Now you're just being silly: Use a CVT clutch on the small block.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I would take it all apart fix the cracks with abs goo (black abs pipe and acetone works good). Then clean up the frame and drive train replacing whats needed. Ebay is a good place to get chain. Buffalo bearings is a good place to get bearings. Axles are easy enough to make your self. If you want new tires: 3 BOLT TO 5 BOLT ADAPTERS. A new engine with clutches is going to set you back a min of 750, so it might be worth tearing apart the old engine (unless cost isn't a problem). By the time its all said and done tho you will have a newish machine in good running condition at the same cost or less than you could buy a running used machine that still needs work. It all comes down to how much time and $$$ do you want to spend on it?
    Courage Invites Critics

My plan for the moment is to power wash the entire thing - Inside & out & hopefully that will get most of the crap out of it.

The drivetrain looks to be in very good condition - other than being dirty the chains look good & there are no cracks on the frame or anything else.

The 1 brake caliper is missing - but I can rig it so the other one works.

I like the black pipe & acetone goo trick. I'm all over that!

The transmission will provide braking, but its always a good idea to have an emergency brake. The brakes aren't all that complicated depending on what your missing you could probably make a new one or find parts on the forum here. You can get new brake lining from McMaster.

Good luck with your project.
    Courage Invites Critics

Ive seen a couple horizontal shaft engines on CL - 10 hp or so.

I'll probably grab one of those - I dont need it to be new - or even pretty - I just want it to move & hopefully float.

Did I mention my wife calls it the "submersible"

Quote Originally Posted by brassmonkey View Post

Did I mention my wife calls it the "submersible"
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread