NOOB - where do I start!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NOOB - where do I start!

NOOB - where do I start!

Hello to all you experts!

I picked up a 95 Wild Wolf basket case in a trade (for a .22 rifle)

It appears to be pretty much all there - except the engine is locked up & bouncing around loose in the back. & so the clutches etc are in similar condition. & I'm missing 1 wheel.

Besides that though I think its all there.

I'm looking for anything I can find out about these little guys - manuals, parts lists etc.

The guy said he thought it was a mid 80s model - How do I tell?

You know all the cool standard NEWBIE questions!

I'm located in Peoria IL & would LOVE to drive this thing into the illinois river!

I guess I have a cool winter project!!

Anyone know if a cheap Harbor Freight engine will bolt in?

295 Wildwolf's were made 73-75, abs bodies, the 295 is the engine size. Machine looks pretty complete though I don't see a floor pan.
    The River is pretty adventurous but if that's your plan, remove the trans and fill the tub with water and start by looking for leaks. Once you find and repair them using the abs goo technique,next new bearings, chains, get the missing parts for the parking brake, the Harbour engines work well in them and a few members are running them. Then it's cables, fuel lines, wiring etc.. Last would be new tires and rims along with 3 to 4 or 5 bolt converters.

Next have fun.

You could do any of this in any order but if the River or any water for that matter is your goal, start with the body leaks as most all abs Attex have a crack or 2,3,4,5,6.

Thank you for your help!

I'll get it moved into the garage tonight & take an inventory of missing parts.

I know besides the 1 tire - I'm missing the brake caliper on the right side. I'll pull the tranny & clutch from the engine & bolt on the tires I have.

If it holds water (good luck) I'll clean & grease everything & then start on the engine.

I do have the floor pan - just didn't take a picture

I may add a sump pump too - just in case!

Dive in monkey, these are allot of fun.

Where do I find parts?

I wont know till I get home tonight - but I'm willing to bet, with the wheels off - the bearings may be bad.

Can they be serviced? repacked? or must they be replaced?

We will be at Ashtabula in a month. Almost any part you need could probably be found there.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Got home & tossed the engine out to play with later- it wasn't attached.

I put the wheels in place - but don't have any nuts to hold them on. ----Does anyone know the size of the nut I need to use on these?

Noticed a couple things -

First - there are a number of patches on the bottom - so to get it in the water I'm going to need to use a sealant of some sort -

Second - it stinks

Third - I found the grease zerts on the bearings & greased it up. YUCK

I was able to get it to roll & with it up on jacks I turned the wheels. The chains looked decent - they moved as expected. I got out a bottle of 90 wt. & soaked all the chains really good. The wheels turn pretty good now.

What do I fill the transmission with? 90wt? grease? I'm guessing

I think if I find a decent horizontal shaft engine to drop in - it will move pretty well as it is.

This weekend I'm going to turn it upside down & power wash it - hopefully that will get rid of the stink.

I'll get a couple gallons of fiberglass resin & some glass & start patching the cracks & holes. Then a little spray paint & we are off to the races.

The transmission takes ATF- I use the Dexron III from NAPA, but everybody's got their own preference.

You'll find that fiberglass resin doesn't stick to ABS for very long. Most of us will use plastic welding of some kind or make up some paste with shredded ABS plastic and acetone. You can use fiberglass fabric along with the plastic/acetone goop to make the mend stronger.

Depending on what the .22 was, it looks like you made a pretty good deal.
    Good luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I did not know that about the Resin not sticking to plastic.

Now I need to start googleing ABS plastic repair.

The .22 was a relatively new synthetic stock Marlin I paid $200 for. So I'm happy with the trade.

What horsepower engine should i find for this?

Will a 5hp work? 8?, 10? I see a lot of people with 20s on this site - is that necessary or just overkill?

I will need a new driven clutch - too - so I dont want to get too deep in the pocket book here.

Make ABS Goo by mixing pieces of abs and acetone and it will melt into a thin paste. I have ran 16hp harbor freight engines and never had an issue. We aren't exactly easy on them either. If you watch for them to go on sale you can get them for around $250 with a 2 year extended no questions asked warranty. MFG supply has clutches. You may be able to find a used on here on the forum.

+ Reply to Thread