ABS repair hazing question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ABS repair hazing question

ABS repair hazing question

Hey yall,

Got a question for yall in regards to ABS repair.

I am starting on getting this abs body back to its former glory.

So far and have gotten great results with wet sanding with 120/150 grit paper on a foam block. I have also tried acetone. Acetone works well but it gums up the cloth(using white cotton undershirts) I think acetone will work better when the body is closer to complete.

My plan.

1. sand body with 120/150 grit wet(w/ water) to remove faded color and remove 95% of the black marking from the body.

2. make body repairs to cracks using abs goo.

3. sand with a 300-400 grit paper to get a clean smooth surface wet (w/water) and remove the remaining 5% of black marking.

4. use acetone to clean up any imperfections and have a better than new bright yellow abs body.

So here is some of the results I have gotten so far.

^This is what it looks like when I come back the next day...

Any input on how to stop this from happening? Do I need to wax or seal this when I am done and if so with what?

Thanks

nothing....

What happens when you clean up the hazing? It could just be the stuff left over once the acetone evaporates? I believe 120 grit is what I used to finish in an orbital sander and I never got this even after using acetone.
    Courage Invites Critics

Lantz could have a point about what is causing your hazing. The other possibility is your using too much acetone at once. If the acetone sits too long on abs the white hazing happens. At least that is what I experienced when working on my racer several years ago.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread