6x6 sizes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6x6 sizes

6x6 sizes

I just got my 1st 6x6, an Attex 295, I think is a 1974.
    How does that compare to other brands and other size 6x6s HP, speed, etc
    Tiny?
    Average?

Your Attex is a on the smaller, lighter side of the more popular 6x6's. That makes it very agile with a top speed that is at the upper end of the current four stroke models that are available. Check out the brochure section of the forum. Some of the brochures will list dimensions and specifications for each model so you can have a direct comparison.

Thanks, I was trying to understand why anyone would remove a 20hp 2 stroke to install a 16hp 4 stroke...seems like a big drop in top speed, and rpm band.
    So the 295 is about the smallest 2 stroke?

Attex did use a 252cc in their Crazy Colt model, which is basically the same body as your ST/295. I don't believe any manufacturer used anything smaller.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/broch...olt-atvs-2.jpg

Remember that the JLO (or any engine for that matter) isn't making that rated horsepower number throughout the rpm range. In the case of the 295, that 20hp (or whatever) is coming at about 6500rpm. Four stroke peak power comes at a much lower rpm, but at the expense of vehicle speed and wider smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam in Va View Post
    Thanks, I was trying to understand why anyone would remove a 20hp 2 stroke to install a 16hp 4 stroke...seems like a big drop in top speed, and rpm band.
    Just to be technical here...Horsepower is a rotten thing to use for comparison. Torque is what we all should be concerned with as it is a measurement of "force"
    Horsepower is actually a measurement of "work performed" and is defined as 1 hp= 746 watts.

So, to answer your question: The 4 stroke has a much higher torque rating and will propel your machine through mud and up hills much better.
    Now, if you are into racing....you just can't beat a smoker.

Attex built an early model called the "225 Hustler" (no relation to the Hustler ATV built in Arkansas) that used a CCW 225 cc two-stroke single that produced 12.5 horsepower. Those machines were very light compared to most of the newer models, but I can't believe the little two-stroke made the machine very quick.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Thanks for the input guys. I know what your saying about torque... and horsepower is just a number relating rpm and tq.
    2 strokes have high rpm but less low end tq.
    Which bring up a question I've asked in another post: Are there any sprocket options for the T20 output? As in smaller?
    Or just axle shaft sprocket?
    I don't race, I like creepy crawlly torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam in Va View Post
    The low end torque and reliability is why we use 4-strokes on the trails. Yes you can get a tooth less on the t-20 sprocket from whipper, and yes you can get some dinner plate sprockets for your primary drive, but all your doing is trying to make that little 2-smoke do what a harbor freight 16 hp engine will do at a much more comfortable rpm level.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread