4 Stroke Winter Project!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 Stroke Winter Project!

4 Stroke Winter Project!

Hi!!

Probably about 8 years ago i got this Attex project half finished and ran out of spare time. We found a nice body and put a freshly sandblasted / painted frame, new sprockets, and a rebuilt T-20 with brand new chain. Thats about as far as we got! This machine was originally slated to get a 400 Kohler 2 Stroke. But, after watching everybody put put their 4 Stroke's around Ashtabula like 6 wheeled golf carts, my motor plans have changed! I like the idea of the exceptional reliability of a 4 stroke (my 2 stroke chap likes to break!!). Plus, We don't have any 4 strokes in the gerber fleet yet (i believe uncle Jim has a tomahawk thats almost complete).

Due to this being the first 4 stroke we have done, i have some questions that the family cant answer! Keep in mind this machine has superchief 500 chap sprockets, and i dont want to go back and change that now. Hoping i can make up for the gearing difference with a higher powered 4 stroke.

1) What type of 4 stroke? Size / Brand / fuel injected / output shaft size / where to buy? I would like to go brand new or very lightly used since everything else on this machine is brand new, and i plan on keeping it forever. I prefer Kohler / Honda but a nice briggs would be ok. What size fits nicely? I want the most power i can get without having to make modifications to stuff something huge in there. Hoping to use my 500 motor mount, just drill new holes What do you guys think? Think reliable!!

2) Clutching. Where do i find a good clutch for the 4 stroke? Does it have to be 1 inch output shaft or can i find a good clutch that will fit 1 1/4'

3) Exhaust. This body does have a hole cut for a muffler. Ideally, i would like to use it. But, I could put a patch in. Do you guys recommend trying to make it work with a superchief muffler or vent it out the seat cover?

4) Wheels / Tires. I am tired of balloons. Beads keep ripping on me. I have 5 bolt adapters for the hubs, but i have no 5 bolt rims. Where can i buy quality 5 bolt rims for a decent price? Also, tires. This machine wont see too much serious mud, it will mostly be an around the yard and light woods trail machine. Uncle Jim recommended Duro's to me, but anything soft that isnt too aggressive tread pattern works for me. Where to buy / what do you recommend?

I would love to get this thing done in time for Ashtabula next year. I am exited to get it going!! Thanks in advance for the help!

-Mike Gerber

Mike,
    This was my project last winter.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/attex...x-project.html
    The 16 HP Briggs runs great. The AT-101 tires ride a bit stiff, but they were pretty cheap ($65 a piece).
    Rims came from Mudd-ox along with the clutch. MFG supply sells the same clutch cheaper though. My muffler came from eBay and need cut and welded to make it work. When mounting the Briggs, the engine mount is real close to the chain. I have seen a roller installed to deflect the chain, but I chose to build a new engine cover.

Mike,

I would suggest using the tomohawk style set up. I'm pretty sure Don has the driven clutch you need to go that route, but you may be stuck using the stock style drive which is easily available, but it is a 1" bore clutch. You may be able to use the Powerblock clutch setup though. I believe that's what they are called. RI used to sell them and the driven had the ramps on the outside of the springs. The tomohawk motor mount kept the engine down low. To fab your own tomohawk style engine mount you can simply cut your triangulars about 1/4" above the frame line and weld a piece of flat from one to the other. Then just drill your mounting holes. The gearing will be just fine for trail riding. It actually is set up well with the low end the 26 toothers give you vs the 22 teeth of the tomohawk. If you want speed, I would recommend a bandelaro engine from 600 racing. I also would recomend patching the side exhaust and going through the engine cover, but you could get away with the stock muffler. I would also recommend k-locks from MuddOx and At101s.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Mike
    Christmas is coming and that looks like a great gift for your Dad !!
    Last edited by Bill Gerber; 12-12-2014 at 11:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread