Super Chief 500 exhaust

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super Chief 500 exhaust

Super Chief 500 exhaust

1985 500 Super Chief
    Can anyone tell me the inner diameter size of the flex exhaust pipe that runs from manifold to body outlet? I'm led to believe it may be 1 1/2" or possibly 1 5/8" but that size looks too small to me when looking at auto parts store. Looks closer to 1 3/4" or 2" in store. ATV is in storage not nearby and I was hoping to take one with me for next trip (short of buying one of each size all the way up to 2")!

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by Pismo6x6; 04-03-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Pismo6x6? Do I have a fellow 6x6r nearby? A fellow dirt bike rider Howie was tuning up a really nice 500 at his shop and had me come over for a couple questions because he knew I had one, yours?. Not many around these parts.

I used 1 5/8 on both my Attexs, the only size not in stock usually. I believe on my 400 I wrapped pipe with a layer of DEI then slid flex over that to make a tighter fit and it seals nicely. I can measure OD if that helps when I get home.

Welcome
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    Pismo6x6? Do I have a fellow 6x6r nearby? A fellow dirt bike rider Howie was tuning up a really nice 500 at his shop and had me come over for a couple questions because he knew I had one, yours?. Not many around these parts.

I used 1 5/8 on both my Attexs, the only size not in stock usually. I believe on my 400 I wrapped pipe with a layer of DEI then slid flex over that to make a tighter fit and it seals nicely. I can measure OD if that helps when I get home.

Welcome
    You got me! We do need to connect...Howie mentioned you.

Oddly, AutoZone had 1 1/2", 1 3/4", 1 7/8" and 2" -- but no 1 5/8." May need to do some more searching if that's the size.
    Yes, if you can provide OD, that would be helpful - thanks.

Thanks for the welcome!
    Last edited by Pismo6x6; 04-03-2018 at 10:45 AM.

OK I did not have any calipers here at home so I snagged the wife's fabric tape measure and outside if you wrap tape around it is 5 5/8 overall of the flex tube. Not if that is a help or not.
    Last edited by Andyman; 04-03-2018 at 10:15 PM.
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

Thanks, that's helpful info. I measured the two in stock at the local store as

1 1/2" ID = 5 1/4" OD
    1 3/4" ID = 6" OD
    So by default, confirms that yours is 1 5/8" ID, since it falls in the middle at 5 5/8" OD. Gee, I feel like such a detective.

I found a 1 5/8" online, so will order and take that along with a 1 1/2" just in case. It's got to be one of those two...I hope!

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo6x6 View Post
    Thanks, that's helpful info. I measured the two in stock at the local store as

1 1/2" ID = 5 1/4" OD
    1 3/4" ID = 6" OD
    So by default, confirms that yours is 1 5/8" ID, since it falls in the middle at 5 5/8" OD. Gee, I feel like such a detective.

I found a 1 5/8" online, so will order and take that along with a 1 1/2" just in case. It's got to be one of those two...I hope!

Thanks for your help.
    They can order it at Orielys Auto

Have you taken yours to the beach yet? I couldn't believe how nice yours was, it looked new. Mine looks like crap compared LOL
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

They can order it at Orielys Auto

Have you taken yours to the beach yet? I couldn't believe how nice yours was, it looked new. Mine looks like crap compared LOL
    Yes, ordered from O'Reilly and it has already shipped.

I've had it out to the sand dunes recently. It climbs like crazy and is a blast. There's nothing like it out there, and I get stopped all the time asking about it. I've had it out many times in the past (before it sat in storage for several years because... well, life happens). As I get older, though, I appreciate that solid axle, knee banging ride less every year.

Thanks - it's in great shape and has low hours on it.

Yes, ordered from O'Reilly and it has already shipped.

I've had it out to the sand dunes recently. It climbs like crazy and is a blast. There's nothing like it out there, and I get stopped all the time asking about it. I've had it out many times in the past (before it sat in storage for several years because... well, life happens). As I get older, though, I appreciate that solid axle, knee banging ride less every year.

Thanks - it's in great shape and has low hours on it.
    Maybe we can meet up sometime and have two buzzing around, my backyard is fun also I have some trails we can ride down in the lagoon in Mesa.
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I used 1 5/8 on both my Attexs, the only size not in stock usually. I believe on my 400 I wrapped pipe with a layer of DEI then slid flex over that to make a tighter fit and it seals nicely.
    Andyman,

Can you expand on how exactly you used the DEI? I'm not familiar with DEI but see that it is a wrap. Did you wrap the entire flex pipe in it, between the clamps? Or did you wrap the manifold with it and then slide the flex pipe over that? I was thinking I'd put some high temp red RTV on the inside of the flex pipe before attaching to help make a better seal, but if you have a better method I'd love to know more. Any further description would be greatly appreciated.

Andyman,

Can you expand on how exactly you used the DEI? I'm not familiar with DEI but see that it is a wrap. Did you wrap the entire flex pipe in it, between the clamps? Or did you wrap the manifold with it and then slide the flex pipe over that? I was thinking I'd put some high temp red RTV on the inside of the flex pipe before attaching to help make a better seal, but if you have a better method I'd love to know more. Any further description would be greatly appreciated.
    KIMG1704.jpg

This is my ST400R, I didn't have enough to go whole length but you get the idea.

805 441 1348 give me a call
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

+ Reply to Thread