Apache Springer Facelift

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Apache Springer Facelift

Apache Springer Facelift

I've had my springer 7 and a half years now and since it's original build, the body has bothered me. The Superchief platform I used must have had a carb backfire/fire at some point because the back of the tub is charred and melted in spots

Two years ago I got my hands on some virgin Attex tops (thanks member Tony).

DSC_0127.jpg

I finally managed to secure a poly bottom for the Apache. The bottom came in a lot that ArgoJim and I picked up last December. We found a pretty sweet deal on four machines in Northern New Jersey. All I needed from the lot was the one machine (a Chief that had been transplanted into a poly bottom at some time during its life). It also came with a factory roll bar. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the roll bar. I also got a T-20 that appears to be ok but I still need to open it up to be sure.

image2.jpgimage.jpg

It has no holes in it but was clearly filled with water almost to the belly band at one time.

DSC_0008.jpg

Removing the rust took a little while to figure out. Power-washing did not work, neither did CLR. JerseyBigfoot suggested muriatic acid and I also got the same advice on a boating website. The acid is available at pool supply stores.

I plan on getting the new tub ready during the summer and making the switch in late fall.

DSC_0003.jpg
    Banned

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Are ya sure your still going to want to get that all dirty? Looking good!

All finished with the inside. Just a little left to do by the tow hitch area.
    Attached Images
    Banned

DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0016.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0020.jpgI finally got the nerve to cut one of the tops.

Tomorrow I'll try cutting out the area under the dash.

The scraps will be used to cover the muffler hole on this project and cover some extra drain plug holes a previous owner put in my Tomahawk.
    Banned

Looking spiffy George.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

WOW 7 years !

Very interesting. So they molded all in one? I assume that is the air cleaner assembly?

thanks for the pics, looks like a fun project
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

That's going to be great when it's done, George ( maybe even pristine?)

Q uses the cover part of the air filters for a cereal bowl. The young man has a hearty appetite.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Q uses the cover part of the air filters for a cereal bowl. The young man has a hearty appetite.
    What a novel idea!

I was just going to see if anyone wanted it for it's original purpose but now you have me thinking.
    Banned

+ Reply to Thread