Need help with my new attex project :D

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with my new attex project :D

Need help with my new attex project :D

Hey guys,

I picked up what I believe is a 73 super chief. The original engine is long gone and it now has a 4 stroke 280cc engine in its place.
    Engine runs good and all the chains and belts appear to be fine but of course i'm having issues with the t-20 trans.

These are my symptons.
    In forward my right stick does basically nothing, i hear it try and engage but it doesnt unless I'm already moving pretty good and then it works like a champ. But from a stand still it wont move the tires.
    Seems to work much better in reverse which is weird. But anyways the left side seems to enage just fine just about any time. Really hoping I can pull the t-20 and give it a good clean and fresh fluid and it will work out......yeah right haha.

Where do I check fluids and there levels?

Could this be an adjustment? I see where almost all the linkages can be adjusted. The plungers that go into the trans ( guessing thats what operates the sides ) seem to be adjusted out 4 threads or so already.

Are there good t-20s I can buy somewhere for less than a fortune?

Whats involved in rebuilding a t-20? Difficulty level and how much are they are where can they be bought.

I paid 700 for the attex with a terrible paint job. Has itp wheels and like new 4-snow tires.

It probably needs an adjustment, but it could need much more. Plungers would need tightened to improve engaging unless the opposite plunger is too tight and still breaking. Was there atf in the t-20 when you purchased the machine? How much play is in your plungers. There are t-20 manuals and how too's on the home page.
    Last edited by amphibious drew; 11-21-2015 at 07:49 PM.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I just got it so im checking fluid tomorrow. Ill pump it out and add atf if needed.
    What do you mean by play in the plungers? Like play inside the bore or???
    Sorry totally new to this t20

Hey outcrydrummer, it sounds like you may just need to adjust your T20 bands. There are many threads telling you how if you will search the forum. There are also instructions in the T20 Rebuild Article located in our how-to section. That also shows you what is involved in rebuilding it if you ever have to. I wouldn't just immediately pull the T20, just start with the adjustment and it may be that simple. Also, make sure that you are pushing forward on the sticks firmly when you are trying to go forward.

I would go ahead and change the fluid. It takes 1 quart of ATF but many of us add a limited slip additive. Search the forum and you will see the types that members like to use. To fill the T20, you open both the top and bottom drain plugs. Pour fluid in the top plug until it runs out the bottom one. That's one quart.

I think you did well for $700. I hope you can get the T20 sorted and go have some fun.

Edit: I started typing about 20 minutes ago, got distracted and came back to finish my thoughts when ole "Mudd-Ox Facebook Contest Winning Drew" swoops in and beats me to it. This man wins everything.
    Last edited by Mike; 11-21-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: ugh.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I will check fluid and look at the how to for band adjustmebts. I am hoping its just an adjustment as it looks like there is a good bit of adjustment left on the plungers to take it in a bit.

20151122_112616.jpg20151122_112717.jpg
    Attached a pic.of the left and right side plungers with sticks forward.
    Well i took a look at the plungers and with the right stick forward the plunger is about as far out as i think it can go.
    Gonna put the pic up here so hopefully you guys can tell me.
    Just need to find the drain plug so i can pump out the old fluid.

Is type f atf ok in these trans?

Personally, I would open that t-20 up and see what's going on. Both plungers look to pull out farther than I like, but that one is crazy far out. If your drums aren't toast, you need to at least get the bands relined or replaced. Hopefully it's band stretch and not a completely bare band scraping against your drum.

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Personally, I would open that t-20 up and see what's going on. Both plungers look to pull out farther than I like, but that one is crazy far out. If your drums aren't toast, you need to at least get the bands relined or replaced. Hopefully it's band stretch and not a completely bare band scraping against your drum.
    My first thoughts. The new bands from Max being slightly larger than the previous versions should help with minimal drum wear if needed.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I got a price on getting the larger bands and getting my drums machined.........its as much as i paid for the whole machine with me doing all the work lol.
    Might just buy another t20.

A used t-20 is going to cost you more than you payed as well if you want to stay with the supported shaft Popsicle stick style. They are at least $600 in working order plus shipping. A u-channel style t20 will run about $500 plus shipping. You can get the bands relined. I don't know who you are contacting on a Sunday, but I have a feeling it's not someone I would recomend doing business with.

+ Reply to Thread