New guy with a new project. :-)nd

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New guy with a new project. :-)nd

I found my Tomahawk manual. I'll try and get it scanned this weekend.

You can do just about anything with the exhaust. There are a lot of machines around that have been changed so that the exhaust comes out through the engine cover, which works pretty well.

I'll see if I can find a big enough piece of HDPE to cover the hole in your machine where the original muffler was (the T'hawk will be HDPE plastic- they changed from ABS in 1975). How big is the hole?

Bigger axles are stronger, but it's up to you whether it's worth the expense and work or not. It is a lot of work, and all the sprockets and bearings need to be changed for the job as well.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I've got some splined max IV axles I purchased in bulk. I had a good friend turn down the ends on a set to 1 inch and added some spacers to use on my tomahawk. It worked out very well, but like Don said, I had to put all new sprockets on as well. If you are interested in doing the upgrade, I will sell a set for $65/axle. You will need to have them turned down if you want to use the factory inner bearings as well as getting 62mm flanges and bearings for the outers and drill them as well as the body and frame to match.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I found my Tomahawk manual. I'll try and get it scanned this weekend.

You can do just about anything with the exhaust. There are a lot of machines around that have been changed so that the exhaust comes out through the engine cover, which works pretty well.

I'll see if I can find a big enough piece of HDPE to cover the hole in your machine where the original muffler was (the T'hawk will be HDPE plastic- they changed from ABS in 1975). How big is the hole?

Bigger axles are stronger, but it's up to you whether it's worth the expense and work or not. It is a lot of work, and all the sprockets and bearings need to be changed for the job as well.
    I will measure the hole today. Best guess would be around 6"x 6". I would prefer to just bring the exhaust out the back of the cowl as that is where it is kind of heading with the B&S twin anyway. Are the axles on these things weak? I know the PO had one in a shop getting fabbed up and they want $200 to get it out. Seems a little steep to me. How much does it run for new axles for this thing?

Thanks,

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I've got some splined max IV axles I purchased in bulk. I had a good friend turn down the ends on a set to 1 inch and added some spacers to use on my tomahawk. It worked out very well, but like Don said, I had to put all new sprockets on as well. If you are interested in doing the upgrade, I will sell a set for $65/axle. You will need to have them turned down if you want to use the factory inner bearings as well as getting 62mm flanges and bearings for the outers and drill them as well as the body and frame to match.
    When we refer to "axles" on these things it is a single wheel, and not both front wheels right ($390 total cost vs. $195)? How much are the 62mm flanges and bearings? Is there a template for rent to match the holes or would I have to make/ buy one. Right now I am looking at having to replace at least one axle, and if I am getting the frame out for work, I am suspecting I will need to cut 1 or 2? Is that a correct assumption? I am also trying to keep costs down for at least a while. Can't imagine what shipping would be for 6 axles up here. Best guess would be well past $150.

Thanks,

Seth

Yes it would be $390 plus shipping for the set of 6. The bearings and flanges can be purchased at buffalo bearing or any other bearing warehouse. I believe you want the 3 bolt flanges and not the 4 bolt flanges. There is a jig floating around that member Whipper has been kind enough to let members use. I sent it to George when I finished my conversion and he may have sent it to hydromike. If you can track it down, I'm sure you could use it as long as you ship it on to the next member in need of it. The entire conversion is not cheap as the sprockets, hubs, and outer flanges all need purchased in addition to new bearings. However, when rebuilding, it is common practice to replace all the bearings anyway. When your done, you have pretty much a modern machine with a cool old school body. If you want to do things cheaper and original, you can make new original style axles very cheap out of 1 inch round 4140. I may have some stock sprockets in good condition laying around if you need them.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks. I will probably wait on that then. Maybe when the bearings start going out. Kind of irritating that he took the motor and axle in to get them done. I would have just done em myself. Just glad he didn't take the damn tranny in somewhere too.

+ Reply to Thread