New guy with a new project. :-)nd

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy with a new project. :-)nd

New guy with a new project. :-)nd

So....... I found this little deally oh over the weekend. The tub seems to be in pretty decent condition. The PO took the rear axle in to get a new one fabbed up, and took the engine in to have it checked out. I would have done this myself, but for $300, what does one expect. So here are the issues.

1. The tranny is in 2 halves, and he was originally told that it needed a new drum. I don't see an pitting, rusted, or channeled areas in the drums. The bands even look work evenly and have some pad left on them. How does one tell whether the drums need to be resurfaced or replaced?

2. I called the place that was doing work on the engine, and they replaced the coil and rebuilt the carb. Total damage....... $500. Needless to say, I am debating throwing in a different engine instead of dropping $500 on an antiquated powerplant. I do have a spare Fuji Heavy Polaris 488 fan cooled sitting around. How difficult would it be to use that, and would it be too high revving on an engine? If it wouldn't be ideal, what would you guy recommend for a replacement. Don't have the money to throw a new Vanguard in there.

3. The cowling looks as if it was ripped off at some point. Is there a decent way to fix this thing? I am thinking 2 steel plates and a metric a$$ ton of rivets?

4. The muffler is WAY bigger than the hole for it on the tub. Is there a larger flange that goes there?

5. Does anyone have a manual for the Tomahawk? I can't seem to find any information on them.

I can't wait to get digging into this thing! TOTALLY new realm for me. I know how to wrench, and work on vehicles, quads, sleds, etc., but this thing looks like a damn clock under there!!!!! PURE AWESOMENESS!!!!

Thanks for any help beforehand!20160321_171254.jpg20160321_171248.jpg20160321_171240.jpg20160319_161758.jpg

Congratulations on the T'hawk find! Here's a link to the Superchief manual on this site: it will be almost identical to the Tomahawk except for the engine and clutching. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-manuals.html Your idea on the engine cover fix is what most of us do for that problem, but you may want to use aluminum just to keep it lighter. Good Luck.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Lots of good people here to help you get it going.

Nice find
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

Thanks! I need to head into town, so I will look for a few sheets of thicker aluminum. I downloaded the manual yesterday, was just hoping someone had the specific one. Can't always get lucky though. :-) As long as this one is basically the same. Any thoughts on the engine? I may start looking for a small newer 4 stroke, or small yanmar diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Congratulations on the T'hawk find! Here's a link to the Superchief manual on this site: it will be almost identical to the Tomahawk except for the engine and clutching. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-manuals.html Your idea on the engine cover fix is what most of us do for that problem, but you may want to use aluminum just to keep it lighter. Good Luck.
    Either way I am going to need to weld the tube nut tabs back on the rack correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaddler View Post
    Either way I am going to need to weld the tube nut tabs back on the rack correct?
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are the tabs broken off the legs of the rack?

I think I have a T'hawk manual somewhere. If I can scan it I'll send it to Mike and see if he'll post it.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are the tabs broken off the legs of the rack?

I think I have a T'hawk manual somewhere. If I can scan it I'll send it to Mike and see if he'll post it.
    Yeah. I should be able to weld em back on. My thought before when I was going to use steel to reinforce it, I was just gonna weld the legs straight to it.

That would be awesome if you could!

So the exhaust I have has a flange on it, but it is nowhere near the same size as the hole in the tub. Is there a cheap easy to find alternative exhaust for these?

Got the metal for the fixing of the rear cowling, and have a guy at a small engine shop looking for a more suitable twin BS motor. I would love to find a little Yanmar to throw in there! What would your recommendations be for bumping up the size of the axles? Is it worth the work and money to go bigger?

Another question for everyone. If I wanted to do away with the existing exhaust hole above the wheel, what would be the best way to patch this? Does anyone have a line on small pieces of the same color yellow ABS? Been looking for a reason to buy a plastic welder.

+ Reply to Thread