Project free molasses

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Project free molasses

Project free molasses

Hi all,
    Well, time to start a thread so i can hopefully suck up some of y'alls wisdom.
    Short back story:
    Moved to colorado a few months ago. Had a previous storage place up in Golden where I stuffed all my extra junk while the Army moved me all over. Left active duty and moved West where I hope to build my home. Not long after getting settled in an apartment in CS, and all the extra-extra stuff put in storage also, I am notified that the storage place lost his lease. Had to jump through hoops to get my storage containers and jeep projects moved closer south to me. Guy who ran the old place felt bad and as a gesture of kindness, bestowed this lil guy on me. It's rough and been hacked at (including the poorly installed V twin Vanguard motor) but seems like it will be fun.
    Best of all... It was free!
    I call this thread molasses because it's going to be an epically slow "build".
    To kick it off I'd like to ask for thoughts on what exactly I have? What model Attex is this and how do I figure what year it was made?
    It was originally orange as best I can tell. Much of what wasn't painted is pretty faded. Eventually I'll probably blast the entire thing apart and do basically a restOmod on it. Reseal the hull/repair the damaged and hacked stuff etc. Then just paint it or bedliner it.
    So let me try and load pics. Please look it over and throw me your thoughts.
    Thanks all in advance and I'm glad to be a part of the wacky world of 6x6s.
    Attached Images

Some more pics. I should also note that this thing has sat, neglected, for over 5 years. Today I got to tinker with it a little...finally. Put some air in the tires and some fresh fuel. After a shot of carb cleaner and about 50 pulls it finally sputtered to life. Wahoo! After about 5 minutes I let off the choke and it was just purring away! Took some trial and error but after playing with levers and the throttle on the motor I got to go for a spin. WAAAAY COOL!!! Unfortunately the throttle cable is trashed (rusted solid) so I had to kinda work the levers and reach back to increase the rpms. Still... All things considered, I had a blast!
    Attached Images

Last pic from today's adventure. I looked all over this thing and could not for the life of me find anything that resembles a data plate type thing. In fact, the only numbers I found were on this transmission looking thing.Looks like 0063??
    If you look at the pics of the engine bay (?) , there appear to be 3 pulleys (?) between the transmission(?) and the drive chains. One obviously goes to the engine (which is loose) but the other two... do they have a purpose?? Ad how do you tighten the motor belt??
    Thoughts?
    Attached Images

I like the project name. That's normally how fast my projects move along. I suck at Attex identification so I'll let one of the experts chime. The transmission is not the T20 mentioned in your intro post but it looks like a Baker Hill transmission. Again, I suck at identifying them but someone should be able to tell you what model transmission as well. I look forward to (slowly) watching your build.

Free is good!

Mike's right: that's a Baker-Hill, probably a model 7000 (machine looks like an ST300D).

That's an early Attex, first generation. The discs on the transmission are are for drive and brake: the inners stop to put power to the wheels and the outers stop the machine. There are planetary gears in between the two discs and a dual-action caliper on the base to achieve this. If I remember right, the engine is on slotted holes in the frame to adjust the belts. I like the cool pivot for the shifter; it will make removing the floor pan a little harder, but I bet it shifts better.

Good luck with the project!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Thanks a bunch guys. So is the baker-hill a bad transmission? Is a T20 better?
    I need to look for a throttle cable that works. Since the motor is swapped in do I just need to find something that is long enough? Any ideas?

Go kart or bike shop is a good place to find a cable and throttle control. You may be able to hook it rite up to the throttle control on the engine. Other than some body butchering it looks like a great Free deal to get your feet wet in the hobby !
    Keep us posted.

Thanks for the idea. Any clue on the length or should I just pull the old one amd try and get one close?
    I have a feeling this hobby will be just as addictive (and expensive) as my jeeps. Haha!
    Looked on the local CL and spotted another 6x6, different model, for 300 bucks! Crap! And me with no money to spare.

Use the old one as a guide. A little longer won't hurt .
    Welcome to the hobby and YES ITS ADDICTIVE !!!

Weird... my reply didn't post.
    Anyway, thanks for the idea. Guess I'll pull the cable and try and match it with something the same length?
    Found another 6x6 us but don't have the spare money... dang it!!
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread