No wheel speed?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No wheel speed?

No wheel speed?

Hey guys....ok...been restoring an 300 first gen attex...changed everything, including building beefier axles, better bearings, second Gen Baker Hill 7000 tranny and shoehorned a Vanguard 14hp motor in for power. It's ALMOST ready to drive....but...I have test ran it, jacked up on the trolley in the shop and there's an issue. With the governor eliminated on the motor(which is ok if you don't over-rev for sustained periods) and the full band of horsepower available from the engine, I have slow wheel speed. With wide open throttle, the belt is fully expanded in both clutches with NO slippage but the tires are spinning slower than I think they should be. I found the right belt, it engages and stretches good, the clutches appear to open/close properly, but I have no wheel speed under WOT...appears to be just crawling. What the hell is wrong? I seem to recall reading somewhere on here, that when you swap the original one lunger Kohler engine with a Vanguard 4 stroke that uses a Comet style primary clutch, you need to change the spring on the Baker Hill tranny clutch to a different stiffness? Color? So it doesn't open so fast? Is that the issue?

Push the sticks forward, if that doesn't instantly cure it try adjusting the pucks.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks Jim...I did push the sticks forward...same results...the brake rotors spin freely in neutral too...think the pucks are adjusted ok...I'll go back out in the shop and recheck everything tho...I still think it's something else...

Can you post a video?

1st generations werent speed demons to start with...

Ok....maybe I just don't know how these Baker Hills work? Anybody point me somewhere or tell me HOW this thing works? There's two separate brake rotors and they turn independently from each other...when the pucks engage it locks up the brake rotors and applies power to the chains? Im confused....When the tranny is in reverse (shift lever to the back of the machine) the wheels roll forward...

I'll try and post a vid...but I don't even know where the sticks are supposed to be when in neutral...lol

I got a second gen Baker Hill 7000 tranny in it now...so it should do about 25-30 mph...no?

Guess in order to post a video on here, it has to be posted on YouTube or something,...I don't have any of that set up and don't wanna right now...unless someone knows another way to do so off of a video file saved on my computer here
    Last edited by Mike; 12-11-2016 at 07:09 PM. Reason: merged four consecutive posts

You can not upload videos direct from your computer. You have to upload them to a video hosting site like you mentioned such as Youtuvbe, Vimeo, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. and then link it here.

A quick summary of the baker hill functions (hopefully)
    Pushing the sticks forward should apply the pucks to the inner disk and release the outer disk, in doing so the planetary gears engage and rotate the outer disk and hence the wheels, pulling back on the stick should release the pucks on the inner disk (allowing it to freewheel) and apply the pucks on the outer disk applying brake pressure. The more force used in either direction should have the same effect on the pucks. There are adjustments for both sides of the pucks on the caliper.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Just wondering if you ever figured this one out. I was thinking about the difference in 2 and 4 stroke clutch assemblies, any chance that this could be it? Sounds like she's gotta be screaming to engage.

A 2 STROKER uses a Stiffer spring so the clutch engages at a Higher engine RPM so it is in the Power band of the engine. a 4 Stroke uses a Lighter spring so it comes in at the Torque curve (lower rpm)
    On some machines the Driven clutch can also have a stiffer set up if it came with a 2 stroke power plant.

+ Reply to Thread