Need help removing axles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help removing axles

Need help removing axles

Hi guys. I am dismantling my ST/295 so that I can repair the hull. Have two axles out, but the others - especially both fronts - refuse to break loose, even with heating them with oxyacetylene. We have tried everything we can think of to try and get these out and are having no luck. Is there some sort of trick or "miracle cure" that you guys know of to get them out? We're killing ourselves over here.
    I have to have a Supacat.

I have used penitrating oil, heat the sprocket tube with torch, and then use an air impact chisel with a plunt tool in it on the end of the axel at the inner bearing. Oh, and a lot of cuss words!

Thanks. Will try the impact chisel, but have been using PB Blaster, have let parts soak for weeks, slide hammer, heated w/ oxyacetylene until cherry red -- but are really concerned about deforming/melting the hull. Have never seen anything gaulded on like this before. Just for the record, we've been shielding everything as best we can and have even filled the hull with water trying to keep the heat off of it, but these are some stubborn little buggers - and I'm being kind... I have been using language way worse than that!

I've had to cut off many. I've even tried cutting the axle to get the sprocket out and using a 20ton press and still cant get them off. All the ones I couldn't get off I had the sprockets machined off so I could weld them on new tubes. If you need sprockets to make new ones let me know I have lots and I switched to keyed sprockets on my attex.

Thanks to all who have responded. Thanks for the offer of sprockets, Toys. We're hoping to save all of these, but time will tell. My best friend, who helps me and is into these things too, has a full machine shop, so by hook or crook, we'll get these damn things out - even if we have to cut them. We're going to go back at it in a little while. I'll let you know how we make out.

Welded

I had the same problem with my super swamp fox. The axle and sprocket welded themselves together. Tried everything...... had to cut axle out with a sawsall. Bent my 20 ton press, took to a machine shop, they bent their really big press. My neighbor who is a mill right drilled the axle out of the sprocket on a lathe. this saved my sprocket and I just made a new axle. When friction is great enough metal will melt and the two pieces will weld themselves together. DSCN0354.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by countrybumpkin View Post
    I have used penitrating oil, heat the sprocket tube with torch, and then use an air impact chisel with a plunt tool in it on the end of the axel at the inner bearing. Oh, and a lot of cuss words!
    Works for me every time. I do take a torch and a brazing rod and put some bronze on the end of the blunt punch, cushions the blow a lot and doesn't let the axle get beat up as much.

Ended up having to cut the one front axle out. Tried everything you guys said - and the air hammer/chisel did work well for moving the outer bearing retainer and outer bearing further out near the hub, so that we were able to cut the axle about midway between the hub and the hull. It wouldn't phase the axle where it's seized onto the sprocket. At least the damn thing is out of the vehicle and now and we can bench it, as far as putting some real heat to it try and get the sprocket off.

It's hell getting older... working in 90 degree heat on this kind of stuff just wipes us out. Worked pretty much all weekend and got just the one axle out, (three more to go) but it's getting there. We're hoping to see all of you at Pine Lake next year.

Thanks a bunch, again, for everybody's help. Much appreciated.

Glad you are making progress. Looking forward to meeting you next year and trading "war" stories!

Well, we ended up having to cut four of them out - that was about a month ago - and have the frame, engine and tranny out of it & it's back home at my house. Have been working on the hull doing extensive ABS repair and it's going very well. Should have it almost finished (the ABS repair) this weekend. Have figured out how to color tint ABS goo to make whatever color I want - especially "Attex yellow/orange." We're looking pretty good over here! Will post photos if any of you guys wanna see it.

+ Reply to Thread