Attex 400 Chief Vanguard 18 install

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex 400 Chief Vanguard 18 install

Attex 400 Chief Vanguard 18 install

Here are some photos of the Vanguard 18 installed in my 400 Chief. This is a 4 change machine. The Vanguard was installed to fit under the unmodified Attex engine cover. To accomplish this the stock mounting plate for the JLO 400 was cut free and re-welded lower down on the mounting frame, which gained about 1 inch in height. This is a photo before the plate was repositioned. Basically, the top of the plate is now flush with the front of the mounting frame (the right side as shown in the photo).

The stock Vanguard air cleaner was replaced with a low profile rectangular steel tube mounted to the carb with a cone filter offset to the side and hanging below. The muffler was also replaced with a new manifold welded to the stock Vanguard exhaust pipes and routed to a new flex tube to the original Attex muffler.

With the engine cover closed it easily clears the Vanguard. The new exhaust is pretty hot so we will install a heat shield on the exhaust manifold just to be sure it doesn't melt the engine cover.

Last edited by RocketHurricane; 08-16-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    "Obsolete doesn’t mean a thing isn’t any good - it just means they don’t make it any more.”
    - Von Dutch

Nice job!! Yes that will create a lot of heat under that cover!!!

Very nice! I like the air cleaner duct and the remote oil filter mount. If your open for one suggestion, I'd duct some fresh air to the engine cooling fan. The hot air will find it's own way out.

Be careful with the stock muffler. I found them to be to restricting and caused power loss, extreme engine heat and actually smoked a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Toys4Me View Post
    Be careful with the stock muffler. I found them to be to restricting and caused power loss, extreme engine heat and actually smoked a motor.
    Any suggestions on what muffler to use? Looking on line I’m
    seeing what looks similar to the style that we replaced, a muffler that basically mounts between the two cylinders. I’d like to keep the exhaust exit in the stock location if at all possible. I’ve wrapped the exhaust pipe and manifold so hopefully that will reduce the heat in the engine compartment somewhat.
    "Obsolete doesn’t mean a thing isn’t any good - it just means they don’t make it any more.”
    - Von Dutch

+ Reply to Thread