297 Help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 297 Help

297 Help

Just purchased my 1st Attex and I'm looking for a lot of information. It's serial #595 which I guess makes it pretty early. The tub is melted around the exhaust: is this a common issue and can it be resolved? It has a 5000 Baker Hill transmission, but has no linkage to the operator's compartment. What does this entail? Does this model have the same air filter assembly as the later models? I have no air filter and I'd like to use whatever was used originally. Thanks, Dan

Start here and scroll down to the last manual. Some of your answers will be there. Depending on how bad the melting is you may be able to repair it. It is plastic so there is a chance. They all melt there so finding a nicer bottom will be tough.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-manuals.html
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

the gentleman that responded to ya to help is kind...but you have the st-300 super chiefs did not come with a bunker hill 5000 trans your non linkage is going to be very hard to find that all changed on the 400 chiefs thunder chiefs and super chiefs in 1977 and theair filter is different too from that later models you probably have the simple titleston carburation that wastotally different

see my reply on the board toyour questions..i have had many diffent attexs 300's 400's and super chiefs

Where's the board? Would someone please take a picture of the linkage from the transmission to the operator compartment on an early 297 thanks dan.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    Where's the board? Would someone please take a picture of the linkage from the transmission to the operator compartment on an early 297 thanks dan.
    Hi Danth,

Here are a couple shots that Adam in Va. has in his gallery of the linkage from the transmission to the foot well (passenger compartment) on a 297.

As you can see, it's pretty rudimentary and little more than a piece of flat stock with a hand-hold on the end that passed through a hole in the foot well. Pull forward for forward and push backward for reverse. The original air filter element on the Tillotson-equipped JLOs was little more than a mesh screen, much like snow machines of the time used. If you plan on extended use in dry conditions, I would try to upgrade to some sort of modern oiled-foam element to protect the engine better. Just to be clear, the original "filter" is missing in the pictures above.

Good luck....

::EDIT:: found a shot of the original filter screen setup WITH the shift linkage. Boom.

Last edited by hydromike; 10-17-2017 at 01:21 PM.

This looks like most of what you need. There is some stuff that is different but the majority of it would work. I will look when I get home and see if I have anything.

Attex 6x6 6 six wheeler drive controls hand held forward reverse steering lever | eBay
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Thank you everyone. Not much to the trans linkage. Think I'm going to adapt an early VW oil bath air filter. Best, Dan

Another question: The wiring diagram shows a fused rectifier. Are these available anywhere? Thanks, Dan

+ Reply to Thread