Won't turn left or right.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Won't turn left or right.

Won't turn left or right.

Super Chief 500 , won't turn left or right, it kinda jerks then wants to idel out and die.
    I think I have the T-20 adjusted , it will go forward and reverse not great but it will, fluid is new, everything moves chains are good and tight but not to tight. I'm lost, help. First time I have had her running and new tires on her. I want to drive lol.
    I have never worked on this type of toqure converter so not sure if that's the problem
    it all spins fine in and out, could belt be loose??????? HELP!!!!!

Unsure of how you are explaining it try this first, with machine off in forward attempt to find the neutral in the sticks between go and stop. Now attempting to push the machine as it should roll free, if OK try braking, if OK try reverse if OK bands are good.
    Now you have a 2stroke machine that probably doesn't engage clutch til 2500, get in give it about 1\4 throttle and go straight, if OK you will need to keep on throttle to turn and perhaps throttle up to counteract the amount of braking applied by the individual stick pressure.

If you are on a 50x100 lot or asphalt/concrete steering and power will be worse.

There may be mechanical issues involved but trying this may be it, if not ask some more.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Ok, I did everything you said to include adjusting the trans correctly or I think I did. I followed a video on YouTube. It will turn, but it's really jerky. I did test on soft grass
    . I assume because of my tires it is a bitch to turn on cement? Is it supposed to be really jerky? It turns but just seems to be almost a fight have to give it around half throttle. Do I need to go back and do some more adjusting? I left around 1/8" behind the rocker plates, and centered the steering handles. Am
    A'm I missing something else? Thank you for the help so far I was worried. It was fun for the few mins of it's first run .. the PO told me it has sat since 2001 and hasn't been used since 1998.
    Also how tight is the belt supposed to be? I have never had anything with this type of clutch system. I can push the belt down around 3-6", the belt looks ok as far as no damage or cracks should I just assume since it's old it's bad and replace it? Can't imagine it is all that $$$$.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by NIGHTOW1; 09-21-2017 at 08:10 AM.

your belt deflection is way too much. the jerky could possibly be that your just a rookie and not keeping pressure on the laterals and with a belt that loose i can see why your at half throttle to get to turn.
    look at the attex manuals on this page and it may tell you the belt number and proper tension but my machines are usually between an inch and two inches of deflection. right or wrong I dont know for sure.
    good luck

i know whats wrong with your machine im a attex expert had them for overtwenty years the 400 the 440 and two super chiefs callme at 619-370-4503 john on this friday or saturdaybut imin mexico at the moment cell calls wont work my private emailis jketch@optimum.net

Great thank you.

Are you running a 6096 belt?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

This is what was on it when i bought it, so i do NOT know if it's correct.
    Attached Images

Get your issue figured out???

+ Reply to Thread